What causes disturbance on my phone camera?

In summary, the conversation discusses the appearance of television static in low light images taken with a cheap smartphone. It is determined that this is simply noise in the camera caused by the lack of light. The conversation also mentions that better quality cameras and lenses can reduce this noise, but it may not be worth constantly purchasing new devices.
Calconceptofnumber1
Hi I have a cheap smart phone with a low quality camera when I go to take a picture there is what I would describe as like old television static appearing in front of the image as it appears on the phone screen (although what is beyond it can still be seen). I am wondering if this is just dust particles? or is it disruption in the light caused by subatomic waves/particles?

Cal

Physics news on Phys.org
Calconceptofnumber1 said:
Hi I have a cheap smart phone with a low quality camera when I go to take a picture there is what I would describe as like old television static appearing in front of the image as it appears on the phone screen (although what is beyond it can still be seen). I am wondering if this is just dust particles? or is it disruption in the light caused by subatomic waves/particles?

Cal
Welcome to the PF.

Can you use the Upload button at the lower right to Upload JPEG images of a couple of your pictures showing this?

It can be seen on the walls in this picture, in particularly the part in the bottom left. But before the picture is taken then it appears to be moving all over the image at high speed.

Attachments

• IMG_20171215_161837[1].jpg
    IMG_20171215_161837[1].jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 572
Can you take a few pictures in a row of a blank wall and post them?

Here you go :smile:.

Attachments

• IMG_20171215_220757[1].jpg
    IMG_20171215_220757[1].jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG_20171215_220757_1[1].jpg
    IMG_20171215_220757_1[1].jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 499
  • IMG_20171215_220758[1].jpg
    IMG_20171215_220758[1].jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_20171215_220800[1].jpg
    IMG_20171215_220800[1].jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 467
Looks like simple noise in the camera. The conversion between the amount of light hitting a sensor and getting a digital value of that is not perfect, and you get random deviations for each pixel each time you take an image.

I agree, it looks like it is just noise. Noise becomes more visible in darker regions because there is less signal to obscure it and because the gain is higher.

It can be seen on the walls in this picture, in particularly the part in the bottom left. But before the picture is taken then it appears to be moving all over the image at high speed.
That just looks like a grainy low-light photo. It happens when the camera uses software to amplify the signal, increasing the noise. Does that happen when there is more light?

Hi I have a cheap smart phone with a low quality camera
My cheap smartphone with a decent camera did the same thing yesterday in low light. Normally the thing takes excellent pictures but the low light makes it grainy.
WP_20171213_17_28_05_Pro[1].jpg

Attachments

• WP_20171213_17_28_05_Pro[1].jpg
    WP_20171213_17_28_05_Pro[1].jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 509
mfb said:
Looks like simple noise in the camera.

totally agree ...

noise due to the lack of light to produce a decent image

Likes sophiecentaur and CWatters
All sensors, including optical, sound and radio frequency detectors, are subject to random fluctuation. It can either be due to random thermal movement of air molecules or to the effects of temperature on the random way electrons move through conductors and semiconductors. The level of that 'Noise' depends on the temperature. It is the Signal to Noise ratio that determines how good the final image or played back sound is.
The sensors in modern top end camera phones are extremely good and also the lenses are probably bigger, to gather more light so many of the pictures that, for instance, my iPhone produces look extremely good. However, if you try to display the image on a full monitor screen, then the imperfections (including the noise) start to show. There's always a better one available the following year - if you happen to have hundreds of pounds every year! It's questionable whetnher it's worth while though. :smile:

Likes davenn and jerromyjon

1. What are some common causes of blurry photos on my phone camera?

One common cause of blurry photos on a phone camera is camera shake, which occurs when the camera moves while the photo is being taken. This can be caused by holding the camera too loosely or quickly pressing the shutter button. Another cause is using the digital zoom feature, which can decrease the quality of the photo. Additionally, low light conditions can also result in blurry photos as the camera struggles to focus and capture clear images.

2. Why do some of my photos have a strange color tint on my phone camera?

The color tint in photos can be caused by a few different factors. One possibility is that the white balance setting on your phone camera is not correctly calibrated, resulting in an unbalanced color temperature in your photos. Another cause could be a dirty lens, which can affect the way colors are captured. Lastly, certain lighting conditions, such as fluorescent or artificial light, can also cause a color tint in photos.

3. How does the condition of my phone's camera lens affect the quality of my photos?

The condition of your phone's camera lens can greatly impact the quality of your photos. A dirty or smudged lens can result in blurry or distorted images. Scratches on the lens can also affect the clarity of the photos. It is important to regularly clean and protect your phone's camera lens to ensure the best quality photos.

4. Can using certain apps or filters on my phone camera cause disturbance in my photos?

Yes, using certain apps or filters on your phone camera can impact the quality of your photos. Some apps may compress the photo or lower the resolution, resulting in a lower quality image. Filters can also alter the colors and details in a photo, which may cause distortion or disturbance. It is important to use apps and filters carefully and be aware of their effects on your photos.

5. How does the age of my phone affect the camera's performance?

The age of your phone can affect the camera's performance in a few ways. As the phone gets older, the camera's hardware may start to deteriorate, resulting in lower quality images. The software and processing capabilities of the phone may also become outdated, making it difficult for the camera to capture and process high-quality photos. In general, newer phones tend to have better camera performance than older ones.