1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why does mass have the force of gravity?

1. Apr 2, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Where does mass get the force of gravity?

2. Relevant equations
    F = G(m1 x m2)/r^2

F = force (N)
    G = Gravitational constant (Nm^2/kg^2)
    m = mass
    r = distance between m1 and m2

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What's the actual question here?

4. Apr 2, 2007 #3
    how is the gravitational constant derived?

5. Apr 2, 2007 #4
    empirically i think. In other words it is inferred from experiments/observational data and not the result of any derivation.

The holy grail in physics (and I have a completely incomplete understanding--physics is a hobby for me) is to capture all 4 fundamental forces including gravity in a superset of equations with a bare minimum of constants.

6. Apr 3, 2007 #5
    Are you asking why the inertial mass is equal to the gravitational mass?

7. Apr 3, 2007 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The first who carried out experiments that led to an empirical determination of G was Cavendish. By means of torsion springs, I think.

Your question can, however, be formulated in a "deep" way:

Why should an object's inherent resistance to motion change (i.e, its inertia) be in any way related to the strength of the attractive force existing between objects (i.e, gravitation)?

This identity between inertial mass and gravitational "mass" is not at all a trivially understandable relationship.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?