Why Does My Calculator Show an Error with Tanh of a Complex Number?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter trustnoone
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Casio
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 16K views
trustnoone
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
As the title shows, I want to do they hyperbolic tan of a complex number, using my calculator (casio fx100ms) but I keep getting a maths error, whether I do it using the tanh function or if I try the

(1-e^(-2x))/(1+e^(-2x))


Any help would be awesome. Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
I think your calculator manual says that the calculator doesn't support the complex number coefficient mode for hyperbolic sinh, cosh, tanh and other select functions.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...ttcjO3x9gBVXwPw&bvm=bv.69411363,d.cWc&cad=rja

Nooooo :(, thanks for looking into it mate, I thought it was just something I was doing wrong. Is there any way I can do it normally? like any way I can do it say like the hard way?
 
Dang calculators only support real numbers! (Well, most of 'em anyways)

Tanh(z) can be evaluated by using the definition of the tanh function with complex argument z,

tanh(z) = sinh(z) / cosh(z) = [itex]\frac{e^{z}-e^{-z}}{e^z+e^{-z}}[/itex]

which is not as easy to calculate as it looks. See:

http://www.uni-graz.at/imawww/vqm/pages/complex/12_tanh.html

You can always use Wolfram Alpha to calculate a tanh(z) for a specific value of z
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
SteamKing said:
Dang calculators only support real numbers! (Well, most of 'em anyways)

Tanh(z) can be evaluated by using the definition of the tanh function with complex argument z,

tanh(z) = sinh(z) / cosh(z) = [itex]\frac{e^{z}-e^{-z}}{e^z+e^{-z}}[/itex]

which is not as easy to calculate as it looks. See:

http://www.uni-graz.at/imawww/vqm/pages/complex/12_tanh.html

You can always use Wolfram Alpha to calculate a tanh(z) for a specific value of z

Thanks mate, its actually on my formula sheet on my exam I got to take tomorrow, but if that's the case I really don't think I will be able to use it with only my calculator itself. Cheers though.
 
Last edited by a moderator: