Why does my phone remain connected to its cable when being lifted by the cable?

• B
  • Thread starter dibilo
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi everyone, I noticed something strange when I lifted my phone by its cable. My phone will remain connect to the cable for a few seconds before it disconnects and falls.

I understand that an object wouldn’t move unless a force has acted upon it. The fact that the phone remained connected for a few seconds suggests that friction is greater than weight of phone. But why is it that after a while, without any input of forces, the phone falls? Did the friction between the charge port and the cable get reduced?

Please help. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Which cable? The USB charging port?

davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Hi everyone, I noticed something strange when I lifted my phone by its cable. My phone will remain connect to the cable for a few seconds before it disconnects and falls.
it just takes a little time for the friction to slowly be overcome
as the months / years pass with the constant plugging and unplugging of the cable, there will be less and less friction till finally
the phone will fall off the cable the moment you lift it by the cable.
The constant wear and tear of the constant plugging and unplugging of the connectors will wear out the surfaces of the connectors until it becomes very loose

Dave

Last edited:
Mister T
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The fact that the phone remained connected for a few seconds suggests that friction is greater than weight of phone. But why is it that after a while, without any input of forces, the phone falls?
The friction force is not constant in magnitude. Do a google search for "stick-slip".