Why does my phone remain connected to its cable when being lifted by the cable?

• Thread starter dibilo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cable
In summary, the conversation discusses how a phone remains connected to a cable for a few seconds before falling, and the cause of this phenomenon is due to the gradual reduction of friction between the charging port and the cable over time. This is a result of wear and tear from constantly plugging and unplugging the cable. Additionally, the conversation mentions that the friction force is not constant, which can lead to the phone falling after a while without any additional force.
dibilo
Hi everyone, I noticed something strange when I lifted my phone by its cable. My phone will remain connect to the cable for a few seconds before it disconnects and falls.

I understand that an object wouldn’t move unless a force has acted upon it. The fact that the phone remained connected for a few seconds suggests that friction is greater than weight of phone. But why is it that after a while, without any input of forces, the phone falls? Did the friction between the charge port and the cable get reduced?

Please help. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Which cable? The USB charging port?

dibilo said:
Hi everyone, I noticed something strange when I lifted my phone by its cable. My phone will remain connect to the cable for a few seconds before it disconnects and falls.

it just takes a little time for the friction to slowly be overcome
as the months / years pass with the constant plugging and unplugging of the cable, there will be less and less friction till finally
the phone will fall off the cable the moment you lift it by the cable.
The constant wear and tear of the constant plugging and unplugging of the connectors will wear out the surfaces of the connectors until it becomes very looseDave

Last edited:
Likes phinds
dibilo said:
The fact that the phone remained connected for a few seconds suggests that friction is greater than weight of phone. But why is it that after a while, without any input of forces, the phone falls?

The friction force is not constant in magnitude. Do a google search for "stick-slip".

1. What causes my phone to remain connected to its cable when lifted?

This is due to the physical properties of both the phone's charging port and the cable itself. The charging port is designed to grip onto the cable and create a secure connection, while the cable is made of materials that are strong enough to support the weight of the phone.

2. Is it safe to lift my phone by the cable?

While it may seem convenient to lift your phone by the cable, it is not recommended. Doing so can put unnecessary strain on the charging port and the cable, potentially causing damage over time.

3. Can this phenomenon damage my phone or cable?

In most cases, no. As long as the cable and charging port are in good condition, there should be no damage caused by lifting the phone by the cable. However, it is always best to handle your phone and its accessories with care to prevent any potential damage.

4. Is there a way to prevent my phone from remaining connected to the cable when lifted?

One way to prevent this from happening is to use a magnetic charging cable. These types of cables easily detach from the phone with a gentle pull, making it easier to lift the phone without the cable remaining attached.

5. Can this phenomenon be seen with all types of charging cables?

Yes, this phenomenon can be seen with most types of charging cables, as long as they are in good condition and properly connected to the phone. However, some cables may have stronger grips on the charging port, making it more difficult to lift the phone by the cable.