Why does phase shift occur in AC circuits with inductors and capacitors?

  • Thread starter Thread starter IssacBinary
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Phase
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
187 replies · 28K views
Phase is not always easy to visualize....

Funny that, I was going to reply with a similar comment but stopped for a cup of tea and there was your post when I came back.

I was just starting to prepare a qm response for another thread and saw and saw this.

If your function is say

[tex]\Psi = {\Psi _0}\exp \left( {\frac{{i(xp - Et)}}{\hbar }} \right)[/tex]

I definitely find phase less than easy to visualise directly.

go well
 
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
NascentOxygen said:
Wasn't it Tesla, the greatest electrical engineer ever, who designed his motor in his mind. When someone asked would he be building one so he could test it, he replied there was no need, he had already run the tests on it in his mind. :approve: :approve:

I have to take issue with that (tongue-in-cheek?) description of good old Nicola. An Engineer is someone who actually implements a viable version of what an Inventor may produce in the form of a prototype or a description. He was a great Character, no doubt but the rest is far too much of a myth for me to take seriously. Distance lends enchantment, I think.
 
f95toli said:
Phase is not always easy to visualize.

Phase is easy to visualize in the topic of this thread, viz., the phase shift in a 1st order passive circuit. :rolleyes: We are not even onto 2nd order circuits, yet.

The distraction of fluid friction and crank shafts was, I thought, bad enough. Now we have quantum physics wanting to poke its nose in. No wonder the OP is still apprehensive about his shaky understanding after nearly 100 posts on (and off) the topic.

If he can't grasp the simplicities of phase differences in passive circuits, he will stand no hope when he progresses to more complex circuits.

The challenge is not to complicate the scenario to such an extent that the learner has no chance of understanding it. That's easily done. (As you very capably demonstrated) :smile:

The OPs best interests are served by placing yourself where he is, and progressing in measured steps from there. Phase shift is easy to visualize, and OP has been able to do that right from the start. The whole thread (yes, there is supposed to be a common thread somewhere in here) came about because he wants to know how, in an R-C circuit, a phase intermediate between 0 and Pi/4 comes about. Quantum phenomena, as interesting a distraction as they may be, have nothing to do with it.
 
sophiecentaur said:
I have to take issue with that (tongue-in-cheek?) description of good old Nicola. An Engineer is someone who actually implements a viable version of what an Inventor may produce in the form of a prototype or a description. He was a great Character, no doubt but the rest is far too much of a myth for me to take seriously. Distance lends enchantment, I think.

Tesla does have a reputation of being a bit of a showman, but I wasn't referring to that. He was both inventor and engineer. Holding a patent on the invention of the induction motor firmly earns him his place in the halls of engineering, quite apart from all his other works. While he is mostly remembered for his work with alternating current, but wasn't it Tesla who discovered a way to generate ball electricity--and store it? No one has been able to replicate that feat. Eccentric, sure, but still with all the traits of the quintessential engineer in my books.

The only black mark I care to place against Nikola Tesla is that he took the secrets of some of his inventions to his grave. But given the way he was not appreciated in his time, who can blame him?
 
NascentOxygen said:
Phase is easy to visualize in the topic of this thread, viz., the phase shift in a 1st order passive circuit. :rolleyes: We are not even onto 2nd order circuits, yet.

So what? The question was "Physically, what is phase?". And the OP has already stated that he/she does not accept a mathematical description. Hence, one must then assume that what is needed is some sort of physical model of what is "really" going on. What I am saying that the concept of phase is actually quite complicated. Note that in all of the examples I mentioned above I was referring to real electrical circuits (chips), circuits that are modeled using LCR circuits and where the phase is measured using oscilloscopes etc.

The only reason I brought up superconductors is that it is a nice example; there are many more "mundane" examples where dealing with phase shifts can become even more complex, such as ferrite components (used in high frequency circuits). Even if there was a simple explanation for what is being asked, I don't think I would necessarily give it; simply because that would make it even more confusing when dealing with more complex problems (even in fairly trivial cases such as understanding the physics of an inductor or non-linear components) .


If he can't grasp the simplicities of phase differences in passive circuits, he will stand no hope when he progresses to more complex circuits.
Agreed,

The OPs best interests are served by placing yourself where he is, and progressing in measured steps from there. Phase shift is easy to visualize, and OP has been able to do that right from the start. The whole thread (yes, there is supposed to be a common thread somewhere in here) came about because he wants to know how, in an R-C circuit, a phase intermediate between 0 and Pi/4 comes about. Quantum phenomena, as interesting a distraction as they may be, have nothing to do with it.

I have been where the OP is. But I got over it.
The problem is -as we keep coming back to- is that the kind of non-mathematical "understanding" that the OP is asking for does not necessarily exist; sooner of later (and the sooner the better) one reaches a point where one has to learn to "think" math, where understanding the model and the math means that one has understood the problem fully.
 
I have always thought about phase as being a periodic change in voltage, and thought about electrical components in a circuits as a way to produce a voltage pattern to send signals.

I think of AC current like this: for the standard American house hold outlet you get 120v of electricity 60 times every second or 60 Hz. Extending that to a three phase power distribution system, you have three phases, one on each conductor, which connect to a motor or single transformer that when they arrive act like one phase. Almost as if they were staggered like Olympic sprinter starting points, where you have to take into account a runners distance from the inside of the track.

Therefore I have always thought of phase as a package of varying voltages. I have no idea if this is correct but I can not help being curious.
 
Generally speaking, a working concept of any phenomenon need be no more complex than is necessary to adequately serve your needs.
DrClapeyron said:
I think of AC current like this: for the standard American house hold outlet you get 120v of electricity 60 times every second or 60 Hz.

There is nothing wrong with what you write. But it would be even more correct to say that you get up to 169v of electricity so many times every second. Remember that 120v is the RMS value of the sinusoid. Your 120v supply smoothly swings from -170v to +170v every cycle. (120 x sqrt 2 = 169.7)

While I can see why you wrote "60 times every second" you could equally have said 240 times every second. :smile:
 
Last edited:
f95toli said:
So what? The question was "Physically, what is phase?".

No. That's the subject header. For the question you have to read the message that comes under that header. (I sharn't repeat it here, because in his second post, OP further defines and refines his question.)

And the OP has already stated that he/she does not accept a mathematical description.

Sorry?? "Does not accept" you say?

Let's take a look...

I understand them mathematically

Difficult to see any refusal of a mathematical representation there!

What I am saying that the concept of phase is actually quite complicated.

The concept of phase difference in a linear passive circuit (which is what is under discussion here) is only as complicated as you wish to make it.

I fear that the OP has long ago abandoned reading this derailed thread. But just in case IssacBinary is still soldiering on (in the vain hope of a modicum of enlightenment), I hope that somewhere in this miasma you have been moved a little farther along the path to understanding the genesis of phase differences in a first order R-C system. I believe I can, belatedly, see exactly what you were hoping to have explained. But this thread has staggered on for too long, and I'll leave it until the question arises at another time, to write around the explanation sought.