Why does Sin represent Y on unit circle

In summary: This is a historical way to define the function and is often used in mathematical calculations. Other functions, such as cosine and tangent, also have specific names based on their parameters. The reason for defining sine as the y-coordinate is related to the definition of the function as the ratio of the opposite side of an acute angle in a right triangle to the hypotenuse. This can be seen by drawing a unit circle and inscribing a right triangle with the angle A, where the opposite side is sin A and the hypotenuse is 1. This convention is based on the x- and y-axis being zero and 90 degrees respectively. Reflection around the x
bmed90
As the title inquires, I am curious as to how or why the Sin function represents y coordinate on the unit circle.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
This can be used as a definition of the sine, and it was indeed the historical way to introduce the function.
How can it be surprising if it is the definition?

I guess what I am asking is why is sin defined as the y coordinate?

bmed90 said:

Do you understand what a "sin" function is? Can you DRAW a unit circle and see what you would get if you took the sin of some arbitrary radius line?

bmed90 said:
The y coordinate is interesting in some mathematical calculations, so this function got its own name ("sine"). Other parameters got other names (like cosine, tangent, ...).

phinds said:
Do you understand what a "sin" function is? Can you DRAW a unit circle and see what you would get if you took the sin of some arbitrary radius line?

I don't think you realize what I am asking. Hopefully this will clarify my question even further.

As you imply in your statement Sin(0) is 0 because if you look at the coordinate (0,1) and "take the sin" you get 0 which is the y coordinate.

My question is WHY does "taking the sin" of this coordinate mean to automatically pick the y coordinate. Why is this? I hope my question is crystal clear. I know how to draw the unit circle. Thanks.

The sine of the acute angle of a right triangle by definition is the ratio of the length of the side opposite the acute angle divided by the length of the hypotenuse. If you draw a right triangle inscribed in a unit circle, as has been suggested, and identify the pertinent parts of the triangle, you will see the relation.

By convention, the angular measure of angles inscribed in triangles assume that the positive x-axis is zero degrees and the positive y-axis is 90 degrees (or the equivalent radian measure).

Consider the triangle formed by the origin, a point on the unit circle in the first quadrant at an angle A, and the projection of this point on the x-axis. This is a right-angled triangle, with hypothenuse 1. since sin A = (opposite side of A)/(hypothenuse), the opposite side is sin A. This is also the y-coordinate of the point on the unit circle.

Reflection around the x- and y-axis will prove this for the other quadrants as well.

willem2 said:
Consider the triangle formed by the origin, a point on the unit circle in the first quadrant at an angle A, and the projection of this point on the x-axis. This is a right-angled triangle, with hypothenuse 1. since sin A = (opposite side of A)/(hypothenuse), the opposite side is sin A. This is also the y-coordinate of the point on the unit circle.

Reflection around the x- and y-axis will prove this for the other quadrants as well.

Thanks

1. Why is Sin used to represent Y on the unit circle?

Sin, or the sine function, is used to represent the vertical component (Y-coordinate) of a point on the unit circle because it is defined as the ratio of the opposite side of a right triangle to its hypotenuse. On the unit circle, the hypotenuse is always equal to 1, making it a perfect function to represent the Y-coordinate.

2. How is Sin calculated on the unit circle?

To calculate Sin on the unit circle, you need to first determine the angle measure in radians. Then, you can use the formula Sin(θ) = opposite/hypotenuse, where θ is the angle measure. This will give you the Y-coordinate of the point on the unit circle.

3. What is the significance of using the unit circle to represent Sin?

The unit circle is a powerful tool in mathematics because it allows us to easily visualize and understand the relationship between the trigonometric functions (such as Sin) and the coordinates of a point on the circle. It also helps us to understand the periodic nature of these functions.

4. How does the unit circle relate to the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. On the unit circle, the hypotenuse is always equal to 1, so the Pythagorean theorem simplifies to c^2 = a^2 + b^2, where c is the length of the hypotenuse and a and b are the lengths of the other two sides. This relationship is fundamental in understanding the trigonometric functions on the unit circle.

5. Can Sin be used to represent other shapes besides the unit circle?

Yes, Sin can be used to represent the Y-coordinate of a point on any circle, not just the unit circle. It can also be used to represent the vertical component of a point on a graph or any other shape that involves right triangles. However, the unit circle is a specific case where the relationship between Sin and the Y-coordinate is simplified and easily understood.