Why does stirring liquid water in a freezer tray make it freeze instantly?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
ax0
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I'm sure this is a totally amateur question, but today I got one of those big ice cube trays for 2x2x2 inch cubes. I filled it up and put it in my freezer, and about 6 hours later checked on it but the water was not frozen at all. Not even a crust on top. I put my finger in one of the squares and swirled it and in that moment the purely liquid water became a snow-like consistency. I did it again with the other squares and the same thing happened. What causes this?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ax0 said:
I put my finger in one of the squares and swirled it and in that moment the purely liquid water became a snow-like consistency. I did it again with the other squares and the same thing happened. What causes this?

a very poorly operating freezer ... my cubes would be solid ice after 2 - 3 hours
a 1.25 bottle of coke will freeze for me in a couple of hours
 
ax0 said:
I put my finger in one of the squares and swirled it and in that moment the purely liquid water became a snow-like consistency. I did it again with the other squares and the same thing happened. What causes this?

Sounds like the water was in a supercooled state. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercooling
 
ax0 said:
Not even a crust on top. I put my finger in one of the squares and swirled it and in that moment the purely liquid water became a snow-like consistency.

Drakkith said:
Sounds like the water was in a supercooled state. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercooling
yes and the adding of the finger to stir it added the seeding process for it to freeze
reasonably pure water can be lowered below its freezing point without freezing ... till seeding occurs