Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why does the graph of y = ln(x) have an imaginary part?

1. Nov 29, 2011 #1
    I was messing around with wolframalpha and tried to make this graph.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot+y+=+log+x

Now I understand why the blue real part exists and has that shape but I don't understand why it has an imaginary part?

Thanks
    AL

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2011 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In terms of the real numbers, the natural logarithm function maps positive reals to the reals. Given some negative real number x, there is no real number y such that ey=x (i.e., such that y=log(x).) The natural logarithm can be extended to the complex numbers via Euler's equation ex=cos(x)+i*sin(x). This leads to log(-1)=pi*i (And to a host of other values; natural log is no longer unique.)

4. Nov 29, 2011 #3
    Ok, but where does imaginary pi come into it?

I understand that from a bit of messing around that any value to the left of the y axis is found by taking the natural log and adding imaginary pi, but I don't understand where imaginary pi comes from.

5. Nov 29, 2011 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It comes from Euler's identity: [itex]e^{\pi i}+1=0[/itex].

6. Nov 29, 2011 #5

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know what math background you have, but the key result here is
    [itex]e^{ix} = \cos x + i \sin x[/itex]
    If you aren't familar with that, Google for "Euler's identity"

Suppose [itex]z = \log(-a)[/itex] where [itex]a > 0[/itex]. Then [itex]e^z = -a[/itex]. Since [itex]e^x > 0[/itex] for any real value of [itex]x[/itex], [itex]z[/itex] must be complex so let [itex] z = x + iy[/itex].

Then [itex]e^{x + iy} = e^x(\cos y + i \sin y) = -a[/itex]

The imaginary part = 0, so [itex]\sin y = 0[/itex].

So [itex]\cos y = \pm 1[/itex] and to make the real parts equal we have to take [itex]\cos y = -1[/itex] and [itex]e^x = a[/itex] or [itex]x = \log a[/itex].

Putting it all together

[itex]\log(-a) = \log(a) + i \pi + 2k\pi[/itex] where [itex]k[/itex] is any integer.

The graph shows the "principal value" i.e. [itex]\log(a) + i \pi [/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook