1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Graphs of inverse trigonometric vs inverse hyperbolic functions

1. Jun 8, 2016 #1
    I noticed the graphs of ##y=\cos^{-1}x## and ##y=\cosh^{-1}x## are similar in the sense that the real part of one is the imaginary part of the other. This is true except when ##x<-1## where the imaginary part of ##y=\cos^{-1}x## is negative but the real part of ##y=\cosh^{-1}x## is positive.

I believe whether they are positive or negative is by a choice of convention. So why don't we define them to be both positive or both negative?

##\cos^{-1}x## graph: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=y=acos(x)
    Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 11.33.14 pm.png

##\cosh^{-1}x## graph: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=y=acosh(x)
    Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 11.33.28 pm.png

Question 2:
    Since the real part of ##\cosh^{-1}x## is the imaginary part of ##\cos^{-1}x## when ##x>1##, this means that multiplying ##i## to the real part of ##\cosh^{-1}x## gives the imaginary part of ##\cos^{-1}x##:
    ##i\cosh^{-1}x=\cos^{-1}x## for ##x>1##.

Similarly, since the real part of ##\cos^{-1}x## is the imaginary part of ##\cosh^{-1}x## when ##x<1##, we have
    ##\cosh^{-1}x=i\cos^{-1}x## for ##x<1##.

We have two rules depending on the value of ##x##. Why not use the same rule? And change the definition of ##\cosh^{-1}x## accordingly: define the real part of ##\cosh^{-1}x## as negative for ##x>1##.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2016 #2
    Hi Happiness:

If your reasoning is the based on the graphs, you need to understand that those graphs are not complete.

Given a graph of y = f(x), you can get the inverse graph x = f-1(y) by reflecting the graph about the main diagonal y=x. As an example, consider the graphs for y = x2 and x = √y . When you show a graph for x = √y it is comon to ignore the values for negative x, but the negative values are actually part of the graph. x has both + and - values for a given value of y.

Regards,
    Buzz

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted