Why does this step response overshoot?

In summary: Wolfram alpha agrees!but ...It's not always necessary to use a PID controller when using a LHP zero. You can tune your plant using only the I part of the controller.
I have this transfer function which i don't know why it is overshooting due to an step input.

http://snag.gy/Vh1SM.jpg

Could someone explain why it does that.

It's it a close loop transfer function, where I've designed a controller for it, but for some reason, eventhoug all my poles are placed correctly, it is not possible to get the response i want to.

Physics news on Phys.org
With the given transfer function there is no overshoot.
Wolfram alpha agrees!

Oops, there is too a small overshoot. I couldn't see it on wolfram. It's due to the zero at s = -1.513. Sorry!
You can cancel it by inserting a pole at the same point (s = - 1.513).

But how come does zeroes apply overshoot? I thought it was only poles which affected the system

rude man said:
With the given transfer function there is no overshoot.
Wolfram alpha agrees!
You should check your entry. It does have overshoot.

215 said:
I have this transfer function which i don't know why it is overshooting due to an step input.

http://snag.gy/Vh1SM.jpg

Could someone explain why it does that.
The transient response of your system is not only determined by its poles. You have a LHP zero as well, which can have a significant impact on the overshoot of the step response of your system.

Quick Google search for 'poles zeros transient' turned up:
http://courses.engr.illinois.edu/ece486/documents/lecture_notes/effects_zero_pole.pdf

but what criteria should i apply for determining the zeroes, and how does it affect the system. I mean it is still a LHP zero? so bad can't it be

How should i using a PID controlle be able to adjust the Zero location, while i am adjusting the location of the pole.

You need to describe your problem more fully, not just talk about an isolated transfer function. What is your plant and what are the response criteria?

I tried to make a general problem, but seems to have forgotten where it began at.
I posted my problem on another forum.

http://snag.gy/OqhxH.jpg

I hope this helps.
My repsponse criterias is that I want an overshoot to be 0% and settling time be under 1 sec.
Using Matlab tuning application i managed to do with only the I part of the controller. The problem is though I've read a lot of places that it is not recomended to use just I or D regulators.

Why does this step response overshoot?

There are a few reasons why a step response may overshoot:

• The system may be underdamped, meaning the response oscillates before settling to the desired value.
  • The system may have a high gain or sensitivity to disturbances, causing it to overshoot in response to small changes.
  • There may be delays or time constants in the system that lead to overshoot.
  • The control parameters or inputs may not be optimized for the system, causing unexpected behavior.
  • The system may be subject to nonlinearities or unexpected interactions between components.

What is the effect of overshoot on a step response?

Overshoot in a step response can have various effects depending on the system and the amount of overshoot. Some possible effects include:

• The system may take longer to settle to the desired value, leading to slower response times.
  • The overshoot may cause instability or oscillations in the system, making it difficult to control or predict.
  • In some cases, overshoot can lead to damage or failure of the system if it exceeds safety limits.
  • Overshoot can also affect the accuracy and precision of the system's output, especially if it is sensitive to small changes.
  • In some cases, the overshoot may be desirable and intentional, such as in control systems that need to quickly respond to changes.

How can I reduce overshoot in a step response?

There are a few strategies for reducing overshoot in a step response:

• Adjusting the control parameters or inputs, such as gain, time constants, or setpoints, to optimize the system's response.
  • Adding damping or filters to the system to reduce oscillations and smooth out the response.
  • Using feedback control or closed-loop control to continuously monitor and adjust the system's behavior.
  • Implementing feedforward control to anticipate and compensate for disturbances before they affect the system.
  • Ensuring all components and subsystems are properly designed and integrated to minimize nonlinearities and unexpected interactions.

Can overshoot be completely eliminated in a step response?

In most cases, it is not possible to completely eliminate overshoot in a step response. This is because some amount of overshoot may be necessary for the system to respond quickly and accurately to changes. However, with careful design and optimization, it is possible to minimize overshoot and achieve a more stable and precise response.

Does overshoot always indicate a problem with the system?

Not necessarily. In some cases, overshoot may be expected and even desirable for the system to perform its intended function. However, if the amount of overshoot is excessive or leads to instability or failure, then it may indicate a problem that needs to be addressed. It is important to carefully analyze and understand the system's behavior in relation to the amount of overshoot to determine if it is within acceptable limits.