Unexpected Zeta and Overshoot relation

• Thread starter Wxfsa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relation
In summary, the conversation discusses a designed feedback control system with a zeta value of 0.94. The formula suggests a small overshoot, but the step response shows a 5th order system with only one dominant complex pole pair and negative-real poles. This leads to a small expected overshoot. It is also noted that the formula applies to second order systems only and there may have been a miscalculation.
Wxfsa
I have a designed feedback control system trying to minimize the overshoot and the setting time. The zeta I (think) ended up with is 0.94. According to this formula:
8058482ea4375b100288947a97eba5d3.png

I am supposed to have a very small overshoot. However the step response of the system looks like this:
ZGlafdw.png

The poles are:
0.0000 + 0.0000i (0 is also a zero, so do they cancel?)
-2.0000 + 0.0000i
-0.5313 + 0.1740i
-0.5313 - 0.1740i
-0.5600 + 0.0000i
-0.0600 + 0.0000i

Does that formula apply only for second order system? Or must I have miscalculated something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wxfsa said:
Does that formula apply only for second order system? Or must I have miscalculated something?
Yes, the pole & zero at the origin cancel.
Leaving you with a whopping 5th-order system. I wouldn't know any other way than to compute the actual response to a step input, eschewing any and all a priori formulas.

Great, thanks.

Wxfsa said:

Your 5th order system has only one dominant complex pole pair with a pole-Q of app. Qp=0.52. The remaining poles are negative-real.
Hence, I agree with you that we can expect a rather small overshoot only (assuming that the mentioned poles apply to closed-loop conditions).

1. What is the "Unexpected Zeta and Overshoot relation"?

The "Unexpected Zeta and Overshoot relation" is a phenomenon observed in control systems, where the damping ratio (zeta) and overshoot (percentage by which the system output exceeds its steady-state value) have an inverse relationship, contrary to what is typically expected.

2. What causes the Unexpected Zeta and Overshoot relation?

The exact cause of this relation is still not fully understood, but it is believed to be a result of the complex interactions between the system's dynamics, control parameters, and external disturbances.

3. How does the Unexpected Zeta and Overshoot relation affect control system performance?

This relation can significantly impact the performance of control systems, as it can lead to unexpected and potentially unstable behavior. It can also make it difficult to tune control parameters for optimal performance.

4. Can the Unexpected Zeta and Overshoot relation be mitigated?

While it cannot be completely eliminated, this relation can be mitigated by carefully selecting control parameters and designing controllers that can adapt to varying system dynamics. Advanced control techniques such as model predictive control can also help in mitigating this issue.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Unexpected Zeta and Overshoot relation?

Yes, this relation has been observed in various real-world applications, including aircraft control systems, automotive control systems, and industrial process control systems. It is essential for control system engineers to be aware of this phenomenon and consider it in their designs to ensure stable and efficient control.