Why does water flow faster through a hose if its choked?

In summary, the conversation discusses the observation that choking the hose while pouring antifreeze into a car can increase the flow rate. The speaker also mentions that tapping the tube may have a similar effect. They suggest that this may be due to the bottle-neck effect and wonder if the flow rate has been measured in each case. The other person replies that they have tried this multiple times and confirms that choking the hose seems to work the best.
Niaboc67
A thought came to me while pouring antifreeze into my car today. As I pour in the anti-freeze it fills to the brim and takes awhile to flow through the cooling-system. However, if I choke the hose a few times it for some reason swallows the antifreeze faster. Is this similar to the bottle-neck effect? allowing a shorter number of x to flow through y?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Choking can mitigate the back-pressure and agitate the fluid (does tapping the tube also work?) but it may just be subjective because you are doing something instead of waiting. Did you try measuring the flow rate (including the time to choke the tube a few times) for each case?

Thanks for the rely!
I've done this numerous times and it always takes awhile for the antifreeze to flow. Tapping does not allow it to flow as easily, although slightly. Choking it to the point where end A and end B are separated seems to work the best. The more the gap between end A and end B, or the midpoint between the hose the radiator and cooling system are closed the more easily the flow afterwards.

1. Why does water flow faster through a hose if its choked?

The reason water flows faster through a choked hose is due to the principle of Bernoulli's equation. When a fluid, such as water, is forced through a smaller opening, the velocity of the fluid increases. This is due to the conservation of energy, as the pressure in the constriction decreases, the kinetic energy of the fluid increases, resulting in a faster flow.

2. What is Bernoulli's equation?

Bernoulli's equation is a fundamental principle in fluid mechanics that describes the relationship between pressure, velocity, and elevation in a fluid flow. It states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, the pressure decreases, and vice versa. This principle is essential in understanding the flow of fluids through constricted areas, such as a choked hose.

3. How does a choked hose affect water pressure?

A choked hose will cause an increase in water pressure. As the water flows through the smaller opening, the velocity increases, and according to Bernoulli's equation, the pressure decreases. However, at the exit of the constriction, the pressure will increase again, resulting in a higher overall water pressure.

4. Can a choked hose cause damage to a system?

Yes, a choked hose can cause damage to a system if the pressure becomes too high. The increased pressure can cause pipes to burst, joints to break, or damage to other components. It is essential to monitor and control the pressure in a system to prevent potential damage.

5. How can a choked hose be beneficial?

A choked hose can be beneficial in certain applications, such as firefighting. The increased velocity of the water through the hose allows for a more powerful stream, which can help extinguish fires more efficiently. Additionally, a choked hose can also be used in pressure washing, as the higher pressure can be more effective in removing dirt and grime.