Why does water offers less friction?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of water offering less friction compared to air. However, it is clarified that this is not always the case and depends on various factors such as the situation, motion, and speed. The conversation also touches on the idea of boats and submarines being more efficient underwater due to the suppression of wake and pressure. The concept of critical speed and generating waves when swimming at the surface of water is also mentioned. Additionally, the behavior of ducklings and loons in regards to escaping predators by riding on top of their bow wave is brought up.
Kaustubh sri
Why do water offers less friction?

My attempt
as water friction is less than air

can anybody tell me that i am right or not

Physics news on Phys.org
It should be relatively clear that (liquid) water has higher viscosity than air. Just try to drag your arm through water and then through air. Which offered less resistance?

Ok then tell me that if someone is swimming at the surface of water he/she get high friction while during inside water it doesn't.Why?

I have a certain interest in this as well. I think viscosity is something akin to thickness of a fluid, and from experience, it is a lot easier and faster to move in the air than in the water.

Kaustubh sri said:
Ok then tell me that if someone is swimming at the surface of water he/she get high friction while during inside water it doesn't.Why?
A submarine uses much less fuel when traveling on the surface of calm water than when fully submerged, for the same speed.

Google found this on the submarine issue..

http://www.fleetsubmarine.com/phorum/read.php?f=6&i=4&t=2

Re: surface speed vs. submerged speed

A number of factors affect surfaced and submerged speeds. In most WWII era boats, surfaced speed was considerably higher than submerged. In a Gato, about 20~21 knots surfaced, 9 submerged. A lot of this had to do with hull design. The old boats were really surface warships with a limited ability to dive, so they were designed for surfaced efficiency. Once submerged, deck guns, the conning tower fairwater, radio antennas, and any number of projections interfered with the smooth flow of water, slowing the boat.

Late in the war, Germany reversed that concept, designing boats with streamlined hulls for greater efficiency under water. The type XXI u-boats are generally thought of as the first production submarines designed to be faster submerged than on the surface. A second factor in this was adding a lot of cells to the batteries, as battery capacity was a limiting factor in both speed and range. Run at full speed, a submerged fleet sub would run her batteries flat in about an hour.

The design of the screws is also important, but in that case depth is even more important. Cavitation--the swirling stream of bubbles you see in movies--robs efficiency, but as you reach a critical depth the water pressure becomes great enough that cavitation ceases and the screw gets about as close as possible to 100% efficiency. This happens rather abruptly, with the motor/turbine suddenly speeding up without any increase in power setting as cavitation-caused drag ceases.

The same pressure factor also makes the hull more efficient at depth, with the energy that was formerly wasted in creating a wake--which you get, even if you can't see it, to a considerable depth--now available for speed as the water pressure suppresses the wake and forces the water to flow smoothly around the hull. (By now tear-drop or cylindrical in shape.)

The periscope has little to do with speed, as no submarine intentionally travels very fast at periscope depth in order to avoid throwing up a lot of visible spray and possibly giving away her position. In the old boats, the exposed periscope shears certainly created turbulence and robbed speed, of course. In modern boats, everything that sticks up above the fairwater can be fully retracted.

J.T. McDaniel
Webmaster, FleetSubmarine.com
Author of: With Honour in Battle and Bacalao
General Editor: American Submarine War Patrol Reports series

Last edited by a moderator:
Kaustubh sri said:

My attempt

Sometimes water increases friction. Sometimes water reduces friction. It depends on the situation. Can you expand the question?

Kaustubh sri said:

My attempt

Water offers less friction than what?

If you are referring to simple motion through water or air, water does NOT "offer less friction".

Perhaps you are referring to "slipping" on a wet surface?

Kaustubh sri said:

My attempt

If this were true, we'd be flying airplanes underwater.

Kaustubh sri said:

If you are swimming at the surface, you generate waves. Ignoring the "splashing" effect of arms or legs entering or leaving the water, there is a large increase in the resistance force when an object reaches a critical speed which depends mainly on its length, because it is effectively traveling "uphill" trying to climb up the bow wave it generates in front of it. A boat with a high power engine, or a sailing boat in a strong wind, can get "on top of" its bow wave and is then effectively traveling down hill with the front of the hull completely out of the water, until it has to slow down.

ck-photo-speedboat-cruising-the-sea-hydroplaning-at-high-speed-identifying-marks-removed-7674097.jpg

Apparently ducklings can do this to escape from predators quickly, even if human swimmers can't. http://jeb.biologists.org/content/198/7/1567.full.pdf

AlephZero said:
If you are swimming at the surface, you generate waves. Ignoring the "splashing" effect of arms or legs entering or leaving the water, there is a large increase in the resistance force when an object reaches a critical speed which depends mainly on its length, because it is effectively traveling "uphill" trying to climb up the bow wave it generates in front of it. A boat with a high power engine, or a sailing boat in a strong wind, can get "on top of" its bow wave and is then effectively traveling down hill with the front of the hull completely out of the water, until it has to slow down.

ck-photo-speedboat-cruising-the-sea-hydroplaning-at-high-speed-identifying-marks-removed-7674097.jpg

Apparently ducklings can do this to escape from predators quickly, even if human swimmers can't. http://jeb.biologists.org/content/198/7/1567.full.pdf

Loons ((the state birds of Minnesota (US)) are really good at that! I don't know what their favorite fish is, (too personal to ask a Loon) - read my intro for reference to that one! - but I think this wave interference thing is what Kaustubh sri was speaking of. :-)

Thanx to every one helping me in the que.

What was the question?

Kaustubh sri said:

My attempt

If I were grading this question, you'd get a 0 for that answer. You're essentially saying "water has less friction [than air] because it has less friction than air." It's not an explanation; you're just repeating the question as the answer.

Should the term friction even be used in the context of the discussion?

Dear @vela i was only asking that i am right or not

I know. I'm pointing out that you're not answering the question. It's like if you were asked why the sky is blue, and you answer, "because it's blue!" It's not an explanation. You're just merely restating the question in statement form.

Q: Why is there less friction?
A: Because there's less friction.

Can you not see that?

vela said:
I know. I'm pointing out that you're not answering the question. It's like if you were asked why the sky is blue, and you answer, "because it's blue!" It's not an explanation. You're just merely restating the question in statement form.

Q: Why is there less friction?
A: Because there's less friction.

Can you not see that?

Sorry if it hurts you but i didn't mean that you thought about

I'm simply pointing out that you're making a very common mistake students make when they think they're answering a question but they're in fact not doing so. I assumed you were here to learn, but apparently not. If you don't care, it's no skin off my back.

Ok ok thanks if you meant it for my mistake

Why does water offer less friction?

Water offers less friction due to its unique molecular structure. Water molecules are polar, meaning they have a positive and negative end, and this polarity allows them to attract and interact with other molecules, including themselves. When an object moves through water, the water molecules are able to move and reorient themselves around the object, reducing the amount of friction between the object and the water.

How does the viscosity of water affect friction?

Viscosity is the measure of a fluid's resistance to flow, and water has a relatively low viscosity compared to other liquids. This low viscosity means that water molecules can easily move past each other, resulting in less resistance when an object moves through water. This results in less friction compared to more viscous liquids, such as oil.

Why is water considered a lubricant?

Water is considered a lubricant because it can reduce the amount of friction between two surfaces. As mentioned before, water molecules are able to move and reorient themselves around an object, creating a layer of lubrication between the object and the surface it is moving against. This reduces the coefficient of friction and makes it easier for the object to move.

Does the temperature of water affect friction?

Yes, the temperature of water can affect friction. Warmer water has a lower surface tension, which means that the water molecules are able to move more freely and can reduce the amount of friction between an object and the water. Colder water has a higher surface tension, making it more difficult for the water molecules to move and resulting in more friction.

How does the shape of an object affect friction in water?

The shape of an object can greatly affect the amount of friction it experiences in water. Objects with streamlined shapes, such as boats, experience less friction because the water molecules can easily flow around them. On the other hand, objects with irregular shapes or rough surfaces will experience more friction as the water molecules get caught on the rough edges, creating more resistance. This is why it is important for ships and boats to have streamlined designs to reduce friction and increase efficiency in water.