Why does water or balls spill out ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of gravity and its effect on objects, particularly on the spilling of water and balls out of a cup and a car. The question arises about the direction of gravity and its role in these situations. The conversation also touches on the idea of angle of repose and entropy, which contribute to the behavior of materials.
Sunanda Goh
I know, this is a very stupid question, but it troubles me the whole day and i can't figure it out.
Why can't water remains its shape if the cup is being removed and the water will spill all over the table ?
And if you fill your car with full of small balls and when you open the door of your car, the balls spill out too ?
Is it Gravity or ? But isn't gravity a downward force ?
Forgive me stupidity

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a "tendency" for net reduction of potential energy (height above ground level).

Likes Sunanda Goh
Sunanda Goh said:
I know, this is a very stupid question, but it troubles me the whole day and i can't figure it out.
Why can't water remains its shape if the cup is being removed and the water will spill all over the table ?
And if you fill your car with full of small balls and when you open the door of your car, the balls spill out too ?
Is it Gravity or ? But isn't gravity a downward force ?
Forgive me stupidity
What's the matter with gravity being a downward force? Do the balls spill out of your car in an upward direction when you open the door?

Likes Sunanda Goh
SteamKing said:
What's the matter with gravity being a downward force? Do the balls spill out of your car in an upward direction when you open the door?

Nope. That's why I'm asking if it's Gravity.

You might be interested in reading about angle of repose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angle_of_repose

Every material has its distinct angle of repose - as any sand castle builder knows.
I encountered this yesterday, while trying to dig down into the blown cellulose insulation in my attic.

Water has an AR of 0. :)
Round balls would have a variable AR, depending on how orderly-stacked they might be.

Likes Sunanda Goh
DaveC426913 said:
You might be interested in reading about angle of repose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angle_of_repose

Every material has its distinct angle of repose - as any sand castle builder knows.
I encountered this yesterday, while trying to dig down into the blown cellulose insulation in my attic.

Water has an AR of 0. :)
Round balls would have a variable AR, depending on how orderly-stacked they might be.

Woah ! Thanks !

Or you could just say Entropy - the universe tends towards equilibrium in all things.

1. Why does water spill out of a container when it is tipped over?

Water spills out of a container when it is tipped over due to the force of gravity pulling the water downwards. When the container is tilted, the water inside will naturally flow towards the lowest point and spill out.

2. What causes balls to spill out of a container when it is shaken?

Balls spill out of a container when it is shaken due to inertia. When the container is moved, the balls inside will continue to move in the same direction until they come into contact with the sides of the container and spill out.

3. Why does water spill out of a container when it is filled to the brim?

Water spills out of a container when it is filled to the brim because of surface tension. Surface tension is the force that allows water molecules to stick together, creating a thin layer on the surface. When the container is filled to the brim, the surface tension causes the water to rise slightly above the edge and spill out.

4. What causes water to spill out of a container when it is heated?

Water spills out of a container when it is heated due to thermal expansion. When water is heated, the molecules move faster and take up more space, causing the water to expand. If the container is not able to accommodate this expansion, the water will spill out.

5. Why do balls spill out of a container when it is dropped?

Balls spill out of a container when it is dropped due to the force of impact. When the container hits the ground, the sudden stop causes a force to be exerted on the balls inside, causing them to bounce out of the container.