1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why does x-axis have eigenvalue = 1

1. Mar 4, 2006 #1
    Why has the x axis have an eigenvalue = 1 and the y axis an eigenvalue =-1? (please stay simple in your answers)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2006 #2

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

Could you be more specific? An eigenvalue as I understand it is generally associated with a function and a vector. I don't understand what the function is here.

4. Mar 4, 2006 #3
    Our lecturer, just drew a diagram the other day on the board with an arrow pointing to the x-axis with lambda = 1 and another arrow with lambda = -1 pointing to the y-axis? Does anyone get what he was trying to explain? Many thanks

5. Mar 4, 2006 #4

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

Maybe he was talking about the eigenvalues of some particular function which had the unit vectors in the x- and y-directions as eigenvectors. For example, the function f([x,y])=[x,-y] has the unit vectors [1,0] and [0,1] as eigenvectors with these eigenvalues because f([1,0])=[1,0]=1*[1,0] and f([0,1])=[0,-1]=-1*[0,1]. Or maybe he was talking about something entirely different. It's hard to say since I don't know what subject he was discussing.

6. Mar 4, 2006 #5
    I think that was it. Thanks :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?