Why Does Young's Double Slit Experiment Use n + 1/2 Instead of m - 1/2?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
nesan
Messages
74
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Is this wrong or right? PLZ.

The Attempt at a Solution



http://www.kentshillphysics.net/optics36.gif

I have a test tomorrow buy my teacher said it's m - 1/2

Why does it say n + 1/2 everywhere. >_<
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is m in this equation? (both according to your teacher and to the other sources you found)
 
From your source, m is an integer 0,1,2...
This means that the equation simplyfies into [itex](\frac{1}{2})\gamma =dsin(\theta)[/itex], [itex](\frac{3}{2})\gamma =dsin(\theta)[/itex], [itex](\frac{5}{2})\gamma =dsin(\theta)[/itex]...

From your teacher, the number of spots away from the center is n.

So the first spot would yield [itex](\frac{1}{2})\gamma =dsin(\theta)[/itex], the second would be [itex](\frac{3}{2})\gamma =dsin(\theta)[/itex], and the third would be [itex](\frac{5}{2})\gamma =dsin(\theta)[/itex].

Do you see where I'm going with this?
 
Villyer said:
From your source, m is an integer 0,1,2...
This means that the equation simplyfies into [itex](\frac{1}{2})\gamma =dsin(\theta)[/itex], [itex](\frac{3}{2})\gamma =dsin(\theta)[/itex], [itex](\frac{5}{2})\gamma =dsin(\theta)[/itex]...

From your teacher, the number of spots away from the center is n.

So the first spot would yield [itex](\frac{1}{2})\gamma =dsin(\theta)[/itex], the second would be [itex](\frac{3}{2})\gamma =dsin(\theta)[/itex], and the third would be [itex](\frac{5}{2})\gamma =dsin(\theta)[/itex].

Do you see where I'm going with this?

Oh I got it. :)

Tnx. :)

<3