Why doesn’t the motor start right away?

• Thread starter Marcin H
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motor
In summary, the conversation discusses the reasons why a motor does not start right away as the voltage is increased above zero. The possibility of friction as the main reason is explored, with the key facts about friction being discussed. The conversation also mentions the role of a sense resistor and the concept of torque in the motor's movement.
Marcin H

Homework Statement

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but why doesn’t a motor start right away as the voltage is increased above zero? Here is the circuit and some other info.
Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 9.01.24 PM.png

Homework Equations

KVL/KCL
V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

Does this have anything to do with the load current? I'm not really sure why the motor doesn't start. I would think that it should start at a small voltage, but move very slowly. Does the load resistance have anything to do with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Marcin H said:

Homework Statement

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but why doesn’t a motor start right away as the voltage is increased above zero? Here is the circuit and some other info.
View attachment 96735

Homework Equations

KVL/KCL
V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

Does this have anything to do with the load current? I'm not really sure why the motor doesn't start. I would think that it should start at a small voltage, but move very slowly. Does the load resistance have anything to do with this?
If you push very gently on the side of a box on the floor, does it move straight away?

haruspex said:
If you push very gently on the side of a box on the floor, does it move straight away?
Friction? o_O It doesn't move because of friction? I haven't thought about that, but it makes sense. Is that the only reason though?

Likes DrClaude
Marcin H said:
Friction? o_O It doesn't move because of friction? I haven't thought about that, but it makes sense. Is that the only reason though?
Before worrying about any other possibilities, can you decide whether friction could explain all the observations?

haruspex said:
Before worrying about any other possibilities, can you decide whether friction could explain all the observations?
I want to say no, but I'm not sure. Wouldn't the sense resistor also affect the motor? You would have a voltage drop across it, but the current would be the same since they are in series. Also the motor isn't turning anything like a wheel or something, so I don't know if friction would be the main reason.

Marcin H said:
Wouldn't the sense resistor also affect the motor? You would have a voltage drop across it
It's only there to detect the current, so it should be a small resistor. Besides, its only effect would be to lower the applied voltage a little, it would not make it zero.
Marcin H said:
the motor isn't turning anything like a wheel or something
The motor has to be made to turn. That implies an applied torque. There would certainly be some frictional torque in the motor axle.
Can you see a way to explain the two different threshold voltages in terms of friction?

haruspex said:
Can you see a way to explain the two different threshold voltages in terms of friction?
Not sure what you mean here. I guess once you get to 2.9V you overcome the force of friction and the motor starts moving. The turn off voltage is lower because of momentum, I think.

Marcin H said:
Not sure what you mean here. I guess once you get to 2.9V you overcome the force of friction and the motor starts moving. The turn off voltage is lower because of momentum, I think.
Think back through what you have been taught about friction. What are the key facts?

haruspex said:
Think back through what you have been taught about friction. What are the key facts?
Static frictional forces from the interlocking of the irregularities of two surfaces will increase to prevent any relative motion up until some limit where motion occurs. It is that threshold of motion which is characterized by the coefficient of static friction. The coefficient of static friction is typically larger than the coefficient of kinetic friction.

Marcin H said:
The turn off voltage is lower because of momentum, I think.

Not due to Momentum but..

Marcin H said:
The coefficient of static friction is typically larger than the coefficient of kinetic friction.

Likes billy_joule and haruspex

1. Why is the motor not starting immediately?

The motor may not start right away due to various reasons such as a low battery, a faulty starter motor, or a clogged fuel filter.

2. What can cause a delay in motor starting?

A delay in motor starting can be caused by issues with the ignition system, such as a faulty ignition switch or spark plugs. It can also be due to mechanical problems like a worn out timing belt or a faulty fuel pump.

3. Can weather conditions affect motor starting time?

Yes, extreme weather conditions can impact the motor's ability to start right away. In cold weather, the motor may take longer to start due to thickening of the engine oil, which makes it harder for the motor to turn over. In hot weather, the engine may experience vapor lock, where the fuel in the lines turns to vapor and prevents the motor from starting.

4. How can I prevent delays in motor starting?

Regular maintenance of the motor is essential to prevent delays in starting. This includes checking and replacing worn out parts, such as the battery, spark plugs, and fuel filter. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule.

5. Is it dangerous to keep trying to start the motor if it doesn’t start immediately?

Continuously trying to start the motor when it does not start immediately can cause damage to the starter motor and drain the battery. It is best to wait a few minutes and try again or seek professional help if the motor still does not start.