Why doesn't this rupture your eardrum?

• Thread starter Thecla
  • Start date
In summary, the eardrum is a delicate membrane that separates the middle ear from the outer ear. When trying to "pop" the ears, some people may hear liquid moving around due to the equalization of pressure in the middle ear. This is often done by holding the nose and blowing, which opens the eustachian tube and allows for equalization of pressure. While this can potentially cause a burst eardrum, it is usually a safe practice and can even help clear blockages. In the case of a ruptured eardrum, it usually heals on its own.
Thecla
The eardrum is a very thin membrane separating the middle ear from the outer ear. When I try to "pop" my ears when I have a head cold by closing my mouth , pinching my nose and applying pressure from the throat side why don't my eardrums rupture? When I do this I hear some liquid moving around,but nothing happens to my eardrum. Aren't these drums very thin and delicate and vulnerable to a pressure blowout?

Biology news on Phys.org
I believe you can actually burst your ear drums if you do this violently enough. Normally though that popping sensation occurs when the pressure in the middle ear has been equalised with the outside atmosphere. The eustachian tube connects the back of the throat with the inner ear and usually is closed, when you hold your nose and blow (or yawn or a few other things) you open them up and equalise the middle ear.

If holding your nose and blowing opens the eustacian tube, that increases the pressure (equalizes with respect to the pressure you are creating in your lungs, not with outside pressure). Indeed, that's why you do it when scuba diving. My understanding is that the act clears blockages, which then allows pressure to equalize after you release the action.

Thanks for the information. Does a burst eardrum heal itself,or do you become deaf in one ear.

Yes, ruptured ear drums usually heal.

1. Why doesn't loud noise rupture your eardrum?

The eardrum, also known as the tympanic membrane, is a thin, delicate layer of tissue that separates the outer ear from the middle ear. Its main function is to vibrate in response to sound waves, which then transmit the vibrations to the inner ear. The eardrum is designed to be flexible and can withstand a certain level of pressure without rupturing. Loud noises can cause the eardrum to vibrate more intensely, but it is able to handle these vibrations without breaking.

2. What is the maximum sound level that the eardrum can withstand?

The eardrum can withstand sound levels up to 120 decibels (dB) without rupturing. This is equivalent to the sound of a rock concert or a chainsaw. However, prolonged exposure to sounds at this level can still cause damage to the sensitive structures of the inner ear, leading to hearing loss.

3. How do the middle ear muscles protect the eardrum from loud noises?

The middle ear muscles, known as the tensor tympani and stapedius muscles, play a crucial role in protecting the eardrum from loud noises. These muscles contract in response to loud sounds, which reduces the movement of the eardrum and helps to dampen the intensity of the sound before it reaches the inner ear.

4. Can a sudden change in air pressure rupture the eardrum?

Yes, a sudden change in air pressure can cause the eardrum to rupture. This is known as barotrauma and can occur during activities such as scuba diving, flying in a plane, or driving up a steep mountain. The rapid change in air pressure can cause the eardrum to stretch and potentially rupture. This is why it is important to equalize the pressure in your ears during these activities.

5. What are the long-term effects of a ruptured eardrum?

The long-term effects of a ruptured eardrum depend on the severity and cause of the rupture. In most cases, the eardrum will heal on its own within a few weeks and there will be no lasting effects. However, if the rupture is severe or occurs repeatedly, it can lead to permanent hearing loss or other complications such as middle ear infections or balance problems.