zhana said:
I was told by my professor current can't flow into birds on power lines becouse of the same potential.Closed circuit path is needed for current to flow.
Your profesor is quite right as long as constant (DC) potential is concerned.However,most of power lines today carry AC electricity (50 or 60 Hz).Assuming bird's legs conductive enough,you don't have to be "a rocket scientist" to evaluate current legs-body to bird steadily sitting on overhead power line.The simple formula for capacitive current (rms value) in AC circuit with pure sine wave is:
[tex]I=U\omega C[/tex]
where
[tex]U[/tex]..is potential difference (voltage)
[tex]C[/tex]..electrical capacity
[tex]\omega =2\pi f[/tex]..and f denotes frequency in Hz.
Example.Usually high voltage power lines are arranged in 3 phase system and if say nominal voltage is 380 kV,the voltage in the formula above is 220 kV due to line-phase conversion factor [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex].
Furherly,let f=60 Hz and C~10pF (my estimation for a capacity of elevated bird of a crow size with respect to ground).
The formula points out I~0.8 mA.Not a much I guess,but if you have on mind that according to some refference I just dug out humans have threshold of finger perception current as low as 0.4 mA,be sure that crows can notice even less than that!One way or another,seems they don't like such electrotherapy and avoid approaching higher field levels.