Why don't race bikes have a high CoG?

• Thread starter Spikeywan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cog Race
In summary, motorbikes are built with a low center of gravity in order to make them easier to handle, but this low center of gravity makes them harder to ride. A high center of gravity would make the bike more difficult to handle, but it would make cornering faster.
Spikeywan
It seems to me that motorbikes are built to have a low centre of gravity.

I can understand this, having dropped mine twice. Once it gets away from you, there's no stopping it, and having a low CoG helps to make the bike easier to handle in the garage.

However, once you're riding it, then all those issues go away.

I went out for the day with someone on an identical bike to mine. He was a small, light chap, and took nothing else with him. I weigh at least 2 stone more than him, had my girlfriend on the back, and had a fully loaded top box.

He commented that I didn't seem to be leaning much, whereas he felt like he had his ear on the ground following me.

This made me think thusly...

Take two identical bikes, but make one with a very low CoG and one with a very high CoG.

The bike with the high CoG would be able to move more weight over for the same amount of lean. This extra weight transfer would mean that the HCoG bike would have to corner faster than the LCoG bike in order to balance the forces for the same amount of lean.

So, why don't race bikes have a really high centre of gravity?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the rider and passenger aren't hanging off relatitve to the bike, then center of mass doesn't have a significant effect on lean angle (except for the minor effect of riding on the side of the tires when leaned over).

Race bikes tend to locate the mass somewhat "centrally" in order to reduce angular inertia, which increases the roll (lean) response for the same steering inputs. It's not that critical, as ground clearance when cornernig prevents the engine from being too low.

A low center of mass may help when walking a bike around, but it increases angular inertia, making the bike slow to respond to steering inputs. It's an issue for the very low center of mass motorcycles used for land speed records.

Jeff Reid said:
A low center of mass may help when walking a bike around, but it increases angular inertia, making the bike slow to respond to steering inputs.

I don't understand that bit. The moment of inertia is a function of the square of the distance of the mass from the pivot. I would have thought things would have gone the other way and that lowering the mass would decrease the moment of inertia. (The pivot being at ground level). Have I got this wrong?

1. Why don't race bikes have a high CoG?

Race bikes do not have a high center of gravity (CoG) because having a lower CoG increases stability and handling on the race track. A lower CoG also allows for quicker and more precise turns, which is crucial in racing. Additionally, a lower CoG reduces the risk of the bike tipping over during high-speed turns.

2. How does a lower CoG affect the performance of a race bike?

A lower CoG can greatly improve the performance of a race bike. It allows for better control and handling, which is essential for navigating through tight corners and curves at high speeds. A lower CoG also improves the stability and balance of the bike, making it easier for the rider to maintain control and achieve faster lap times.

3. Are there any downsides to having a lower CoG on a race bike?

While a lower CoG offers many benefits, it also has a few downsides. One of the main downsides is that it can limit ground clearance, making it difficult to navigate over bumps or uneven terrain. This can be a disadvantage in off-road racing. Additionally, a lower CoG can make the bike feel less nimble and can require more effort to turn at slower speeds.

4. How is the CoG of a race bike determined?

The center of gravity of a race bike is determined by the distribution of weight throughout the bike. This includes the weight of the engine, fuel tank, rider, and other components. Engineers carefully design and place these components to achieve a lower CoG and improve the overall performance of the bike.

5. Can the CoG of a race bike be adjusted?

Yes, the CoG of a race bike can be adjusted to some extent. Adding or removing weight from different areas of the bike can alter the CoG and affect its handling and stability. However, this must be done carefully and with consideration of other factors, as it can also impact the overall performance of the bike.