1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why electic potential on the center of a disk axis = 0

1. Apr 24, 2009 #1
    when i saw how to get the electic potential of a charged disk at a point on its axis i found that the E.P on center of the disk =0 as
    the integration of the eq:
    dv = 2k(q/a^2)((r^2)+(x^2))^(.5)dr..........(a) is the radius of the disk , (r) is the radius of the element and (x) is the distance between the disk and the point we get the E.P at

i found that the integration of v changed from (0---> v) and r changed from (0--->a)
    and that means that when r=zero v=zero ...............why???????

sorry if my english is not good my native lang. is not english ....

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2009 #2
    I am finding it hard to read your post, but I will say one thing:

A potential (be it electric or something else) is only meaningless if you look at a potential difference. For that reason, you can take your zero potential anywhere you want. You can take it in the center of the disc, or on the moon; the final answer should be the same.
    However, calculations or often much simpler if you take a logic place, such as the center of the disc, or at infinity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook