Why electic potential on the center of a disk axis = 0

In summary, the electric potential at the center of a charged disk is found to be equal to zero due to the integration of the equation for potential, which takes into account the radius of the disk and the distance between the disk and the point of interest. This means that the potential will be zero at the center of the disk regardless of where the zero point is chosen.
moamen811
when i saw how to get the electic potential of a charged disk at a point on its axis i found that the E.P on center of the disk =0 as
the integration of the eq:
dv = 2k(q/a^2)((r^2)+(x^2))^(.5)dr...(a) is the radius of the disk , (r) is the radius of the element and (x) is the distance between the disk and the point we get the E.P at

i found that the integration of v changed from (0---> v) and r changed from (0--->a)
and that means that when r=zero v=zero ...why??

sorry if my english is not good my native lang. is not english ...

Physics news on Phys.org
I am finding it hard to read your post, but I will say one thing:

A potential (be it electric or something else) is only meaningless if you look at a potential difference. For that reason, you can take your zero potential anywhere you want. You can take it in the center of the disc, or on the moon; the final answer should be the same.
However, calculations or often much simpler if you take a logic place, such as the center of the disc, or at infinity.

The reason the electric potential at the center of a disk is equal to zero is due to the symmetry of the disk. The integration of the equation you mentioned takes into account the contributions of all the charges on the disk to the potential at a given point. However, at the center of the disk, the contributions from all the charges on the disk cancel out due to the symmetry of the disk. This means that the net potential at the center is equal to zero.

In simpler terms, imagine that each charge on the disk has an equal and opposite charge on the opposite side of the disk. This creates a symmetrical distribution of charges, which results in the cancellation of the electric potential at the center.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify why the electric potential at the center of a disk is equal to zero. Keep up the good work in your studies!

1. Why is the electric potential on the center of a disk axis equal to 0?

The electric potential on the center of a disk axis is equal to 0 because it is the point of symmetry for the electric field. The electric field lines are perpendicular to the disk at the center, resulting in a cancelation of the electric potential.

2. How is the electric potential on the center of a disk axis calculated?

The electric potential on the center of a disk axis can be calculated using the equation V = kQ/R, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the total charge of the disk, and R is the radius of the disk.

3. Is the electric potential on the center of a disk axis always 0?

No, the electric potential on the center of a disk axis is only 0 if the disk has a uniform charge distribution. If the charge distribution is not uniform, the electric potential on the center of the disk axis will not be 0.

4. How does the size of the disk affect the electric potential on the center of the disk axis?

The size of the disk does not affect the electric potential on the center of the disk axis. As long as the charge distribution remains uniform, the electric potential at the center will always be 0.

5. Can the electric potential on the center of a disk axis be negative?

Yes, the electric potential on the center of a disk axis can be negative if the disk has a negative charge. In this case, the electric field lines will point towards the center, resulting in a negative electric potential at the center of the disk.