Why Do Fathers Experience Premature Graying?

• Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hair
In summary: but mostly because it's funny to see people's reactions when they realize that even though they might look "old", they're still pretty darn young when it comes to life experiences.fortunately my daughter inherited some of my fear of heights/falling ( self preservation) and she is very happy with just doing lots of mountain trail hikes
berkeman said:
Oh wow. Which university? I hadn't heard of that BS program before.
I can't remember. I'll have to ask. It's a small college near Golden, CO.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
dlgoff said:
I can't remember. I'll have to ask. It's a small college near Golden, CO.
Colorado School of Mines? Small engineering school in Golden.

Astronuc said:
Colorado School of Mines? Small engineering school in Golden.
No. I know that's not it.

Edit: I just emailed her to find out the name.

dlgoff said:
getting her BS in:
Aviation & Aerospace Science, following the school’s Professional Flight Officer program (for pilots)
Sorry if you've already mentioned it, but what type of career does this degree and specialty lead to? Commercial airline pilot (kind of like a BS in Nursing helps a lot in getting to higher levels of RN positions)? Or some other aviation career? It seems like she is on a great trajectory (pun intended)! :smile:

dlgoff said:
No. I know that's not it.

Edit: I just emailed her to find out the name.
Metropolitan State University of Denver is about the only small school with an Aviation and Aerospace Science program. It's closer to Denver than Golden. :-p
https://www.msudenver.edu/aviation-aerospace/

Astronuc said:
Metropolitan State University of Denver is about the only small school with an Aviation and Aerospace Science program. It's closer to Denver than Golden. :-p
No. The school is either in Golden or very near. I'll let you know when she replies to my email.

Astronuc said:
She replied. It is the Metropolitan State University of Denver

berkeman said:
Sorry if you've already mentioned it, but what type of career does this degree and specialty lead to? Commercial airline pilot (kind of like a BS in Nursing helps a lot in getting to higher levels of RN positions)? Or some other aviation career? It seems like she is on a great trajectory (pun intended)! :smile:
Well, she's got her commercial license. see: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/why-fathers-get-gray-hair.905235/post-6829241
But her flying club, I think, requires the degree. I'm a bit confused though.

dlgoff said:
Well, she's got her commercial license.
But for single-engine ICE I think. Not for multi-engine commercial jets... :smile:

dlgoff said:
But her flying club, I think, requires the degree.
Oh, maybe to be a Flight Instructor...?

berkeman said:
But for single-engine ICE I think. Not for multi-engine commercial jets... :smile:Oh, maybe to be a Flight Instructor...?
I think @Astronuc mentioned Flight Instructor and passed that on to her. I think that would be a good idea. She did mention that now she can get paid to fly folks to their destinations. So maybe she'll be doing that a lot?

Likes berkeman
It's been a while since I've posted in this thread. No gray hairs but proud to let you know how my daughter is doing now. From an email:
Things are going fine. The new semester starts this week so I’ll be going to class. Other than that, I’m finally finishing my tailwheel endorsement, will hopefully have that done this week.
Can never be too proud of her. :)

Likes pinball1970, DrClaude, Borek and 1 other person
What's a tailwheel endorsement? A slightly different aircraft configuration?

berkeman said:
What's a tailwheel endorsement? A slightly different aircraft configuration?
From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conventional_landing_gear
Conventional landing gear, or tailwheel-type landing gear, is an aircraft undercarriage consisting of two main wheels forward of the center of gravity and a small wheel or skid to support the tail.
See the tailwheel on this image:
tailwheel.jpg

edit: an endorsement is an entry in her log book saying that she can fly tail wheel aircraft.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
As far as I am aware handling of tailwheels is quite different from other types of aircraft, especially on the ground. For example during landing they are much more prone to tipping over. They have lower drag in the air though.

My understanding (and limited experience from MSFS) is that they are not difficult to fly, just a bit different.

• Wow
Likes dlgoff, pinball1970, DrClaude and 1 other person
Borek said:
For example during landing they are much more prone to tipping over.
You usually make three points landings for tail draggers to ensure you can pull back on the yoke while braking without risk of taking off again. Looks like that guy landed too fast and did not counter his wheel braking.

• Wow
Likes dlgoff
My feeling was that our comments should be geared towards Dlgoff avoiding getting more grey hairs ;)

Likes BillTre and berkeman
I just got an email from my daughter. Here's one thing she mentioned:
I finally have my tailwheel endorsement.
edit: Here's what she said when asking what exactly was an endorsement:
...it is an endorsement stating that you’ve received and logged the required training by an appropriately-rated instructor and have been found competent to fly tailwheel airplanes.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes Borek
Filip Larsen said:
You usually make three points landings for tail draggers to ensure you can pull back on the yoke while braking without risk of taking off again. Looks like that guy landed too fast and did not counter his wheel braking.

Yes, but being just a Sunday MSFS flyer I didn't want to get into details and pretend I am in any way an expert :smile:

Likes dlgoff
Tailwheel today, tailhook tomorrow....

• Wow
Likes berkeman
Don't worry - that will stop the plane just fine. In almost no space at all. :wink:

• Haha
Likes dlgoff
Still getting a little more gray hair:
thumbnail_IMG_3427.jpg

edit, here's another:
thumbnail_IMG_2418.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes OmCheeto, collinsmark, pinball1970 and 2 others
I thought I'd share some new photos from my daughter which adds a few more gray hairs. One good thing is she is training to become an instructor.
=> money
Tail Wheel photos:
tailwheel-3.jpg

tailwheel-4.jpg

tailwheel-5.jpg

Likes berkeman and Borg
Be happy. She's not doing barrel-rolls.

Likes BillTre and dlgoff
Vanadium 50 said:
Be happy. She's not doing barrel-rolls.
She probably has done a bunch of them. See this:

• Wow
  • Haha
Likes BillTre, pinball1970, Borg and 1 other person
Yikes, I'm guessing that beeping near the beginning is a stall warning? Woo-wee!

Likes dlgoff
Climbing with no helmet and hair just in a pony. Somebody thinks they are immortal.

A helmet would be a good gift for the next time there is some excuse. Falling rocks hurt. Falling on rocks hurts. The hair done up in some kind of bun stuck in the helmet would be a good thing. Hair in your eyes due to a puff of wind at the wrong moment can be a nasty surprise.

berkeman said:
Yikes, I'm guessing that beeping near the beginning is a stall warning? Woo-wee!
Yep. That's what that means.

• Wow
Likes pinball1970
Grelbr42 said:
Climbing with no helmet and hair just in a pony. Somebody thinks they are immortal.

A helmet would be a good gift for the next time there is some excuse. Falling rocks hurt. Falling on rocks hurts. The hair done up in some kind of bun stuck in the helmet would be a good thing. Hair in your eyes due to a puff of wind at the wrong moment can be a nasty surprise.
I guess your are referring to the image in the first post:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/why-fathers-get-gray-hair.905235/
rock_1.png

She's been doing this for a long time. No worries. I think her flying aerobatics is more dangerous.

Likes BillTre
I thought I'd share some more "gray hair" images:
300 hours of logged flying
300 hours-1.jpg

300 hours-2.jpg

300 hours-3.jpg

300 hours-4.jpg

300 hours-5.jpg

• Love
Likes pinball1970, berkeman and collinsmark
What's with the funny mustache things?

Likes pinball1970
BillTre said:
I'm not sure. When I first saw that, I thought it might be oxygen. But I'll have to ask her.

@BillTre
edit: I just got an email from her about something else and I asked her about this. I'll let you know when she replies.

Likes pinball1970 and BillTre
BillTre said:
I just got this reply saying:
We were wearing oxygen, as we went to a high enough altitude that is was required. They look goofy because those are just ones that go into your nose and they have sticky pieces that keep them on your face.

• Wow
Likes pinball1970 and BillTre
Oh yeah, now that I look closer I see where the clear O2 tubes go in the ends of the mustache things:

1677099081568.png

Likes pinball1970, Ibix, dlgoff and 1 other person