Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why have my emoticons disappeared

1. Aug 25, 2007 #1
    The only ones I have dispaly in the subject line.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Look in the pulldown menu next to the smiley face. Right above you. :bugeye:

4. Aug 25, 2007 #3
    :redface: OOPS, thanks Doc Al

5. Aug 25, 2007 #4

Evo

A change this major should have had a full page ad. :grumpy:

6. Aug 25, 2007 #5
    they've moved there for good?

7. Aug 25, 2007 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Seems to be an affordable housing issue. Nowawdays, you have 20+ smilies sharing one small space. We have the same problem in California.

8. Aug 25, 2007 #7

Doc Al

...or perhaps for evil. :devil:

9. Aug 25, 2007 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:
    You have really been on a roll lately, Doc!

10. Aug 25, 2007 #9

Danger

Gold Member

Hmmm... thanks for the tip. I've just been typing in the codes, but I prefer clicking.
    While we're on the subject, why is it that the 'surprised' smilie doesn't have a trailing colon while all of the others do? Isn't that the 'end smilie' symbol?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2007
  11. Aug 26, 2007 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It was a typo when setting up the smilies (after the great smilie revolt when Greg attempted to toss out those smilies and move in younger, more voluptuous smilies, and was quickly forced to reinstate our old buddies).

Apparently, the smilies have always been up there in the drop down menu, so were redundant to have hanging out next to the reply box too...not that I had noticed them up in the drop-down menu until they disappeared from next to the reply box either.

12. Aug 26, 2007 #11
    I knew about the smilies in the post's toolbox/bar, but the smilies to the side were much more convenient. Fewer clicks. I prefer [click]'smiley' to list->smiley, list->smiley, list->scroll->smiley,... .

While we are on the topic of emoticons/smilies, here's a question to the powers that be: Why do smilies such as :smile:, :biggrin:, :wink:, etc. have such long codes instead of the simpler :), :D, ;)?

13. Aug 26, 2007 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think that's more to avoid errors in the main forums when someone might end up with those characters juxtaposed in an equation or something and wouldn't want them converted accidentally to a smilie. It saves you from having to select that "disable smilies in text" button with those types of posts.

14. Aug 26, 2007 #13

Danger

Gold Member

So if I type something between two colons, will I get a randomly generated smilie or just stupid-looking text? :biggrin:

15. Aug 26, 2007 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Depending on whose colon it is, you might get slapped. :tongue:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?