Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why I hate the english language.

1. Dec 2, 2009 #1
    Rules like, "I before E except after C." Oh really? You mean like "foreigner?" Or, "soceity?" Or how about like half of the words that end with "E" where that "E" is pronounced, and the other half where the "E" is not pronounced.

Feel free to add to this, and post the gargantuian list of english fallibles! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2009 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

You mean like the word "their"?

How about homophones?

wrought - rot

rain, reign, rein

to, too, two

break, brake

for, fore, four

wrote, rote

:biggrin:

Synonyms, antonyms...

4. Dec 2, 2009 #3
    But the word "society" obeys the rule "I before E", and there is no such word as "soceity."

The entire poem is:

I before E
    Except after C,
    Or when sounded as A,
    As in "neighbor" or "weigh."

Several long-E silent-I proper names are exceptions, such as Keith and Sheila.

The word "weird" is another weird one.

If all that give you a headache, take some Codeine.

5. Dec 2, 2009 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And if the Codeine makes you sleepy, drink some caffeine.

6. Dec 2, 2009 #5
    If "gh" is pronounced as in "rough",
    "o" is pronounced as in "women",
    and "ti" is pronounced as in "nation",
    then "ghoti" is pronounced "fish."

-- Something I learned in high school

7. Dec 2, 2009 #6
    The fact that it was compulsory in high school and is currently playing a big factor in which university I will get into.

8. Dec 2, 2009 #7
    It does?

i before e except after c...? Maybe a thick accent then. *shrugs*

9. Dec 2, 2009 #8
    how the hell do you pronounce wOman? wiman?

10. Dec 2, 2009 #9
    :rofl:

11. Dec 2, 2009 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just HAVE to hear your accent. Those are not pronounced at all alike where I'm from. :biggrin: The first would be more like rawt.

12. Dec 2, 2009 #11

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I before E except after C.......weird.

13. Dec 3, 2009 #12
    The reason I hate english is because it is to vague. For example during my grade 12 year in english we had to write 2 finals exams. Now when I went into my first exam I was getting 96% in the course...I managed to get a 53% on the test and 67% on the second one.

English is most of the times really transparent and could very well be more than one answer. Another reason I hate english is now that I am in post-secondary and training to be an Electrical engineer the english they teach is like grade 6 grammar rules. So for your first 13 years of school they make you think all upper level vocab then you get to college and try to get into the industry and you throw it all out the window.

They offer technical communication in high school now which is english you would use in the industry but most programs want an english 12 mark...they need to change the system

14. Dec 3, 2009 #13
    Yeah but there are people in my school who have gotten 100% on every english test including the final exam! I don't get it!

15. Dec 3, 2009 #14
    Lol that's what I was thinking as I read through some of those words, the sound different to me. Subtle but still different. Some of those sound the same though like to, too, two or for and four (fore sounds different to me)

16. Dec 3, 2009 #15
    Evidently I have the same accent as Evo, because wrought and rot sound exactly the same when I say them. :biggrin:

And yes, the whole "i before e" rules can turn into quite a debacle. On another board, the thread continued on for a number of pages about that one rule. And that was a current events board.

Evo: Are "route" and "root" pronounced the same way for you?

17. Dec 3, 2009 #16

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I spelled weird "wierd" for the longest time due to that rule...

18. Dec 3, 2009 #17
    I still think that English is a heck of a lot easier to learn and use than my native language, Dutch. No weird accents, easy grammar (relatively) and expansive enough to ensure one won't ever get bored of learning new words :biggrin:

Of course, nothing can beat Japanese. Now there's a fun language :cool:

19. Dec 3, 2009 #18
    ummmmmmmm....society is spelled with an i before e just thought you'd like to know that..........

you also spelled gargantuan wrong, and and im pretty sure the correct term is fallacies but i may be incorrect. i wont comment on English being lower cased since i do that online too .

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  20. Dec 3, 2009 #19
    that can be said for allllll subjects. english majors have to learn atleast trig in highschool, yet once they get to college they just need to pass one math course that they will never use again in their lives. you have to be a fluent student to graduate college, even if you wwill never use the tools of other subjects in your lives.
    i don't see how foreigner obeys this rule.

21. Dec 3, 2009 #20
    so spelling correctly is a must but capitalization and punctuation can be disregarded? and Neo_Anderson seems to be using fallible as a plural noun.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook