Why Im the coolest member on this board

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
Pengwuino said:
Really? It sure doesnt seem like women aren't taken by structural engineering by the structural engineering videos that are so prolific on the internet.
I've always been under the impression that was pure structural engineering propaganda. In real life you very rarely hear a woman bring the subject up. Of course, who knows what is discussed behind closed doors in women-only situations. Could be it's all about structural engineering.

Pengwuino
Gold Member
zoobyshoe said:
I've always been under the impression that was pure structural engineering propaganda. In real life you very rarely hear a woman bring the subject up. Of course, who knows what is discussed behind closed doors in women-only situations. Could be it's all about structural engineering.
Well ive overheard many girls openly talk about how they recently taught a lesson in structural engineering to very open-minded individuals. Some even felt the need to partake in womens-only lectures at their homes

Pengwuino said:
Well ive overheard many girls openly talk about how they recently taught a lesson in structural engineering to very open-minded individuals.
In my youth they had a set of structural members you could screw together to demonstrate structural engineering, or use as a toy. It was called an Erector Set. They don't make them anymore.

I always built my structures out of lego..My largest structure was over 2 metres standing vertically

Pengwuino
Gold Member
zoobyshoe said:
In my youth they had a set of structural members you could screw together to demonstrate structural engineering, or use as a toy. It was called an Erector Set. They don't make them anymore.
Oh yah, the erector set. Didn't one erector set have a motor with it?

Grotesque Puppet said:
I always built my structures out of lego..My largest structure was over 2 metres standing vertically
And I'm sure you bragged about it to all the other budding structural engineers on the school yard at recess.

Grotesque Puppet said:
My mom was really impressed
That surprises me.

My sister even had to help me carry it up the stairs to my room

Grotesque Puppet said:
Sounds like you have a very close family.

Pengwuino
Gold Member
Grotesque Puppet said:
She didnt try to play with it afterwards did she...

No she immediately left the room...I had more work to do

Pengwuino
Gold Member
Why didnt you ask if she wanted to play with it

Shes not into working on big rock solid towers, I'm sure she wouldn't mind taking a look at the Statue of Liberty's internal workings though

Last edited:
honestrosewater
Gold Member
You guys sound like a of gaggle of Catholic schoolgirls. :rolleyes: But I bet you look darling in those skirts.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Pengwuino said:
Really? It sure doesnt seem like women aren't taken by structural engineering by the structural engineering videos that are so prolific on the internet.
Nah, most of those videos just don't focus much on structural engineering at all, and instead dwell on issues of how to transport the structure through tunnels. Unfortunately, those videos are poorly done and seem to promote approaches such as just ramming the tower into the tunnel to force it through, which can result in quite a bit of damage, especially inflicted upon the structural engineer by the civil engineer who designed the tunnel. The better trained engineers know that if you gradually ease the tower through, and back it out when it gets to a tight spot, and generously apply lubricants while easing it in and backing out repeatedly, you'll progress more slowly, but will meet much greater success, and the tunnel operator will be sufficiently pleased with your skill as to permit you to return.

Another problematic issue is that it seems too many structural engineers brag about building these huge towers, but then run into trouble arranging transportation through the tunnels from tunnel operators worried the damage will be irreparable. It seems the only solution in those situations is to manually release the pressure valves, collapse the structure and put it into storage.

Pengwuino said:
Oh come on, I cant touch it alone :(
The Ladies still seem more than willing to touch it as well.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
hmm.. I really need to start dating again...

Evo
Mentor
I actually just thought the penguin was cute. o:)

Pengwuino
Gold Member
Evo said:
I actually just thought the penguin was cute. o:)
really?? :!!) :!!) :!!)

Evo
Mentor
Pengwuino said:
really?? :!!) :!!) :!!)
Yeah, it's beautiful. I love stuff like that. :approve:

honestrosewater
Gold Member
Math Is Hard said:
No! You'll never come around then! :cry:

Math Is Hard said:
Talk about an off the wall and off topic ejaculation.

honestrosewater
Gold Member
zoobyshoe said:
Talk about an off the wall and off topic ejaculation.
Okay. At first, I liked the quote from Viktor E. Frankl, "What is to give light must endure burning." But I'm not sure it really works when applied to a person's life. Is it accurate and sending the right message to people, or is it just an indulgence in self-pity? :biggrin: