Why is chaos more studied in dc-dc converters compared to other circuits?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 2K views
student-engineer
Why is chaos only more studied in dc-dc converters and not in other nonlinear circuits, such as, rectifiers?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
student-engineer said:
Why is chaos only more studied in dc-dc converters and not in other nonlinear circuits, such as, rectifiers?
What leads you to believe this is the case?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: student-engineer
Because I have not read about chaos analysis of rectifiers anywhere,except for few places.May be that is not emphasized much.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Performing a Google search on "chaos in electronic circuits" returns over 500,000 hits; Chua's circuit, for example.
Search Youtube for "electronic circuit chaos". More generally, systems containing one or more non-linear elements have the potential to exhibit chaotic behavior.

 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: student-engineer
student-engineer said:
Why is chaos only more studied in dc-dc converters and not in other nonlinear circuits, such as, rectifiers?
Can you post a link to what you are asking about? Chaos in what part of the DC-DC converter? And do you really mean chaos and not just "noise"?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: student-engineer, Asymptotic, S.G. Janssens and 1 other person
There is apparently an article (with a good number of citations) that discusses a number of examples from power electronics, among which a rectifier circuit.
A co-author of one of my advisors has worked on this specific topic and has written some more recent review material as well. Of course, there is much more around, as already indicated in post #4.

I'm sorry, I cannot help you with the engineering part of this topic, but here are others that can.
berkeman said:
And do you really mean chaos and not just "noise"?
Yes, that is a good point, but given the OPs question history, I think he is interested primarily in deterministic chaos.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Greg Bernhardt, Asymptotic, student-engineer and 1 other person
Yes,I mean deterministic chaos.Noise is a random phenomenon.
I read that paper by Hamill and deane before.But most of the papers are about chaos in dc-dc converters and not about rectifiers.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
student-engineer said:
Yes,I mean deterministic chaos.Noise is a random phenomenon
Okay, but can you reply to this part please?
berkeman said:
Chaos in what part of the DC-DC converter?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: student-engineer
berkeman said:
Okay, but can you reply to this part please?
Sorry,I was busy for a while.In a dc-dc converter or a power electronic circuit,waveforms of output current and voltage (i.e. the state variables) can get aperiodic or chaotic.This is when circuit is said to be working in a chaotic mode.Hope that this answers your query,if not,then I can elaborate more on what I think that I know about it.
Thanks to the physics forum for knowledge.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome back! :smile:
student-engineer said:
Sorry,I was busy for a while.In a dc-dc converter or a power electronic circuit,waveforms of current and voltage across some element of circuit can get aperiodic or chaotic.This is when circuit is said to be working in a chaotic mode.Hope that this answers your query,if not,then I can elaborate more on what I think that I know about it.
Thanks to the physics forum for knowledge.
No, sorry. That doesn't really help. Are you referring to discontinuous mode? From what I've seen of the definition of chaos earlier in this thread and elsewhere, I'm not sure it qualifies... (but I know very little about chaos)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: student-engineer
berkeman said:
Welcome back! :smile:

No, sorry. That doesn't really help. Are you referring to discontinuous mode? From what I've seen of the definition of chaos earlier in this thread and elsewhere, I'm not sure it qualifies... (but I know very little about chaos)
Chaos in dc-dc converters is studied separately for their ccm (continuous conduction mode) and dcm (discontinuous conduction mode) modes.The method of study of chaos for dcm mode changes as the functioning of circuit changes in this mode.For instance,in buck converter,current in inductor cannot be zero in ccm mode,whereas,it takes the zero value too during dcm mode.The mapping process changes.The waveforms of the state variables are periodic in power electronic converters.They become aperiodic in chaotic mode.That is what I know.I can be wrong too. :smile:
 
Last edited by a moderator: