Why is cos(t)(cos(wt) - jsin(wt)) considered negligible in integration?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gliese123
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    even Integration
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Gliese123
Messages
143
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Hi,

I'm having a problem comprehending the odd-even trigonometry properties when doing an integration and I hope someone here feel like explaining since I can't seem to find anything of this in my course literature.
I suppose it's more or less of a integration problem.

f(t) = (cost)(Θ(t + [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]) - Θ(t - [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]))

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



When doing the integration of:
[itex]\int (cost)(coswt - jsinwt) dt[/itex] from -pi/2 [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] +pi/2
(The period is pi and the function is obviously even)

Why do they then consider cost * -jsinwt to be negligible and equal to 0?

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+cost*e^iwt+dt+from+-pi/2+to+pi/2
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Gliese123 said:

Homework Statement


Hi,

I'm having a problem comprehending the odd-even trigonometry properties when doing an integration and I hope someone here feel like explaining since I can't seem to find anything of this in my course literature.
I suppose it's more or less of a integration problem.

f(t) = (cost)(Θ(t + [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]) - Θ(t - [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]))

Are you sure this is correct?

##Θ(t + \frac{\pi}{2}) - Θ(t - \frac{\pi}{2}) = Θ \pi##
 
PeroK said:
Are you sure this is correct?

##Θ(t + \frac{\pi}{2}) - Θ(t - \frac{\pi}{2}) = Θ \pi##
Yes. The function stretches from -pi/2 --> pi/2
It's cut off
 
Gliese123 said:

Homework Statement


Hi,

I'm having a problem comprehending the odd-even trigonometry properties when doing an integration and I hope someone here feel like explaining since I can't seem to find anything of this in my course literature.
I suppose it's more or less of a integration problem.

f(t) = (cost)(Θ(t + [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]) - Θ(t - [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]))

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



When doing the integration of:
[itex]\int (cost)(coswt - jsinwt) dt[/itex] from -pi/2 [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] +pi/2
(The period is pi and the function is obviously even)

Why do they then consider cost * -jsinwt to be negligible and equal to 0?

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+cost*e^iwt+dt+from+-pi/2+to+pi/2

1. ##\cos t(\cos\omega t - j\sin\omega t)## is neither even nor odd (w.r.t. ##t##), and its periodicity (as a function of ##t##) depends on ##\omega##.

2. ##\cos\omega t-i\sin\omega t=e^{-i\omega t}##

3. ##\cos t\cdot (-j)\sin\omega t## is an odd function (w.r.t. ##t##), so ##\int_{-a}^a \cos t\cdot (-j)\sin\omega t\ dt=0## for any real ##a##. In particular, ##\int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2} \cos t\cdot (-j)\sin\omega t\ dt=0##.

PeroK said:
Are you sure this is correct?

##Θ(t + \frac{\pi}{2}) - Θ(t - \frac{\pi}{2}) = Θ \pi##

I would assume, from context, that ##\Theta## is a function of ##t## here.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
gopher_p said:
1. ##\cos t(\cos\omega t - j\sin\omega t)## is neither even nor odd (w.r.t. ##t##), and its periodicity (as a function of ##t##) depends on ##\omega##.

2. ##\cos\omega t-i\sin\omega t=e^{-i\omega t}##

3. ##\cos t\cdot (-j)\sin\omega t## is an odd function (w.r.t. ##t##), so ##\int_{-a}^a \cos t\cdot (-j)\sin\omega t\ dt=0## for any real ##a##. In particular, ##\int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2} \cos t\cdot (-j)\sin\omega t\ dt=0##.



I would assume, from context, that ##\Theta## is a function of ##t## here.
Thanks. Seems logical :)