Why is cos(t)(cos(wt) - jsin(wt)) considered negligible in integration?

In summary, the integration problem is trying to find the value of a function between two points, where one of the points is at the negative pi/2 point and the other is at the positive pi/2 point. They consider the cost of the function *-jsinwt to be negligible and equal to 0, but when evaluating the cost at the negative pi/2 point, it is still negative.
Gliese123

Homework Statement

Hi,

I'm having a problem comprehending the odd-even trigonometry properties when doing an integration and I hope someone here feel like explaining since I can't seem to find anything of this in my course literature.
I suppose it's more or less of a integration problem.

f(t) = (cost)(Θ(t + [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]) - Θ(t - [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When doing the integration of:
[itex]\int (cost)(coswt - jsinwt) dt[/itex] from -pi/2 [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] +pi/2
(The period is pi and the function is obviously even)

Why do they then consider cost * -jsinwt to be negligible and equal to 0?

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+cost*e^iwt+dt+from+-pi/2+to+pi/2

Physics news on Phys.org
Gliese123 said:

Homework Statement

Hi,

I'm having a problem comprehending the odd-even trigonometry properties when doing an integration and I hope someone here feel like explaining since I can't seem to find anything of this in my course literature.

f(t) = (cost)(Θ(t + [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]) - Θ(t - [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]))

Are you sure this is correct?

##Θ(t + \frac{\pi}{2}) - Θ(t - \frac{\pi}{2}) = Θ \pi##

PeroK said:

Yes. The function stretches from -pi/2 --> pi/2
It's cut off

Gliese123 said:

Homework Statement

Hi,

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When doing the integration of:
[itex]\int (cost)(coswt - jsinwt) dt[/itex] from -pi/2 [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] +pi/2
(The period is pi and the function is obviously even)

Why do they then consider cost * -jsinwt to be negligible and equal to 0?

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+cost*e^iwt+dt+from+-pi/2+to+pi/2

1. ##\cos t(\cos\omega t - j\sin\omega t)## is neither even nor odd (w.r.t. ##t##), and its periodicity (as a function of ##t##) depends on ##\omega##.

2. ##\cos\omega t-i\sin\omega t=e^{-i\omega t}##

3. ##\cos t\cdot (-j)\sin\omega t## is an odd function (w.r.t. ##t##), so ##\int_{-a}^a \cos t\cdot (-j)\sin\omega t\ dt=0## for any real ##a##. In particular, ##\int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2} \cos t\cdot (-j)\sin\omega t\ dt=0##.

PeroK said:

I would assume, from context, that ##\Theta## is a function of ##t## here.

Likes 1 person
gopher_p said:
1. ##\cos t(\cos\omega t - j\sin\omega t)## is neither even nor odd (w.r.t. ##t##), and its periodicity (as a function of ##t##) depends on ##\omega##.

2. ##\cos\omega t-i\sin\omega t=e^{-i\omega t}##

3. ##\cos t\cdot (-j)\sin\omega t## is an odd function (w.r.t. ##t##), so ##\int_{-a}^a \cos t\cdot (-j)\sin\omega t\ dt=0## for any real ##a##. In particular, ##\int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2} \cos t\cdot (-j)\sin\omega t\ dt=0##.

I would assume, from context, that ##\Theta## is a function of ##t## here.
Thanks. Seems logical :)

Related to Why is cos(t)(cos(wt) - jsin(wt)) considered negligible in integration?

1. What is "Odd or even integration"?

"Odd or even integration" refers to the process of determining whether a function is odd, even, or neither, and using that information to simplify the integration process.

2. How do you determine if a function is odd or even?

A function is odd if f(-x) = -f(x) for all values of x, and even if f(-x) = f(x) for all values of x. To determine if a function is odd or even, you can plug in -x for x and see if the function remains the same or becomes the negative of itself.

3. Why is it useful to know if a function is odd or even?

Knowing if a function is odd or even can reduce the amount of work required for integration. Odd functions have a property that allows you to integrate over a symmetric interval and double the result to find the total area under the curve. Even functions have a property that allows you to integrate from 0 to a certain value and then multiply the result by 2 to find the total area under the curve.

4. Can a function be both odd and even?

No, a function can only be either odd or even. A function is odd if it satisfies the condition f(-x) = -f(x) for all values of x, and it is even if it satisfies the condition f(-x) = f(x) for all values of x. These two conditions are mutually exclusive.

5. How do you integrate an odd or even function?

If a function is odd, you can integrate over a symmetric interval and double the result. If a function is even, you can integrate from 0 to a certain value and then multiply the result by 2. In both cases, this simplifies the integration process and reduces the amount of work required.