Why is glass transparent? More details below.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of transparency and how it relates to glass and mirrors. The speaker mentions their understanding that glass is transparent because it absorbs most of the visible light and reflects very little, while mirrors have the opposite effect. They also bring up the role of electrons in determining the frequency of emitted photons and mention Mott's work as a potential explanation for the transparency of glass.
LogicalAcid
I have always thought glass was reflective because all visible light falling upon it was absorbed, and only very little was reflected and able to make contact with our retinas, to little to be noticed, therefore making it transparent. I believe the opposite happens to mirrors, most of the visible light falling upon it is reflected, and very little is absorbed. I know the whole concept of "If a photon hits an atom, the electrons in the atom jump an orbital, but eventually they fall back down and release the excess energy in the form of photons, the higher the orbital they "fell" from, the higher the frequency of the photon emitted. But apparently it has to do with Valence electrons as well, which I haven't had time to study for (I have many High Schools looking out for me, I want to stay with good grades), so I want to get down to the very most detailed reasons of why glass is transparent.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe it has to do with Mott's work.

What is glass?

Glass is a non-crystalline, amorphous solid that is typically transparent and has widespread use in everyday objects such as windows, bottles, and mirrors.

Why is glass transparent?

Glass is transparent because its molecular structure lacks a regular arrangement, allowing light to pass through without being scattered. This means that light can travel through glass with minimal obstruction, making it appear transparent to the human eye.

How does light interact with glass?

When light strikes a glass surface, it can either be transmitted, absorbed, or reflected. In the case of transparency, light is transmitted through the glass without being absorbed or reflected, resulting in the appearance of transparency.

What factors affect the transparency of glass?

The transparency of glass can be affected by several factors, including the composition and thickness of the glass, the presence of impurities or defects, and the angle at which light hits the surface of the glass.

Are there any types of glass that are not transparent?

Yes, there are types of glass that are not transparent, such as tinted or frosted glass. These types of glass have added substances or surface treatments that alter their molecular structure and reduce their transparency.