1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Why is i^2 equal to negative one and not positive one?

1. Oct 28, 2016 #1
    Someone please tell me what is wrong with this logic:

i = √-1

i2= √-1√-1 = √(-1)(-1) = √+1 = 1

But also i2 = (√-1)1/2= -1

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The square root is not unique any more in the complex numbers. The laws that work for positive real numbers don't work for complex numbers in general.

4. Oct 28, 2016 #3

Mark44

... and the property of radicals that you used -- ##\sqrt{a}\sqrt{b} = \sqrt{ab}## -- is applicable only if both a and b are nonnegative.

5. Oct 28, 2016 #4

fresh_42

6. Oct 29, 2016 #5
    Thank you all for the response, much appreciated!

7. Oct 29, 2016 #6

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The symbol, i, was defined as the imaginary number which, when squared, gives -1. That definition should not be violated. It worked out very well with several other things. It allows every polynomial to be factored completely. It provides a good way to represent rotations in the two-dimensional complex plane with multiplication by complex numbers.

8. Oct 29, 2016 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

9. Oct 29, 2016 #8

fresh_42

How does it come you know all the exotic corners out there? I'm flabbergasted every single time.
    But that's not what I wanted to say. I like to take the chance to thank you for your Insight on the subject. I've linked it now for the third or forth time (hoping it will be read). Very useful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted