Why Is My Calculation of the Initial Rate of Decomposition for NO2 Not Accepted?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 9K views
chhhnhhsh
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


What is the Initial Rate of Decomposition for NO2.
Where 2NO2-----> 2NO + O2
K=.54
Concentration at t=0 is .008 M
This is a second order reaction.

Homework Equations


Rate=k[C]2

The Attempt at a Solution


Rate=.54[.008]2=.000035 (directed to give a two sig fig answer)

This answer is not being accepted, I'm not sure what I'm missing?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi chhhnhhsh! welcome to pf! :smile:

isn't it 5.4, not .54 ? :redface:
 
Thank you for the welcome!
Sorry I misprinted the information above.
A previous question for this problem was "what is the value of the rate constant" and the text calculates it for you as k=(.54 / M*s).

What is really getting to me is a previous question as well where it asked for the instantaneous rate at t=100 where the concentration = .00559 M.

To calculate this I did the same thing.
rate=.54(.00559)2 = .000017 M/s. The program accepted this answer but said I should have rounded to .000018 M/s. Which I didn't understand because the real answer is .000016874.
Should I be using a different rate calculation?
 
Last edited:
Maybe it's a bit of a trick question based oon the fact that the rate constant is a 2nd order one for bimolecular reaction 2NO2 -> ..., but they ask for "rate of decomposition of NO"2. ?
 
Last edited: