Why Is My Calculation of the Scalar Product Incorrect?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
elpermic
Messages
29
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find the scalar product of the 2 vectors.
Vector A is north of east at 70 degrees with a magnitude of 3.60m
Vector B is south of west at 30 degrees with a magnitude of 2.40m

Homework Equations


ABcosx

The Attempt at a Solution


I did dot product using the formula, 3.60x2.40xcos(-100) and got the wrong answer.. The answer is 13.00. What the hell did I do wrong? I did as the formula said I should do and failed. I don't get it??
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
elpermic said:
Vector A is north of east at 70 degrees …
Vector B is south of west at 30 degrees …

I did dot product using the formula, 3.60x2.40xcos(-100) …

Hi elpermic! :smile:

It ain't 100. :wink:​
 
elpermic said:
I did dot product using the formula, 3.60x2.40xcos(-100) and got the wrong answer.. The answer is 13.00.
(1) The formula calls for the angle between the two vectors. That angle is not 100°. (Draw a diagram.)
(2) The answer cannot be 13.