Why is Newton's equation of motion invariant to time reversal

In summary, Richard Feynman supported the atomic bomb while the others you mentioned did not. After all this, you still choose him. :cry::cry::cry:
larsa
Is there any deep reason behind this? per example the principle of least action or something else?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it has the second derivative wrt time in it. That's all. Replace t by -t and you get the same equation of motion.

BvU said:
Well, it has the second derivative wrt time in it. That's all. Replace t by -t and you get the same equation of motion.
What is so special about the second derivative? If it was the first derivative it wouldn't be time invariant?

larsa said:
What is so special about the second derivative? If it was the first derivative it wouldn't be time invariant?
What is the difference between ##\dot{x}(t)## and ##\dot{x}(-t)## according to the chain rule?

I don't know why time has a direction, but the usual answer for this is the concept of entropy.
Time just does have a direction; that is what is observed, even though math does not require it to be.
A broken glass does not reassemble, people don't reappear after death, and infants don't get unborn.

True enough, ##\sqrt 1##, but the thread is about a different issue...

BvU said:
True enough, ##\sqrt 1##, but the thread is about a different issue...

What do you mean?

larsa said:
What do you mean?
You've asked
Why is Newton's equation of motion time reversally invariant?
which is a question about a certain equation, and therefore about a certain frame and model, and not a question why time in general has only one direction as root-one ##= \sqrt{1}## has answered to.

I think the OP may be asking a more philosophical question about why an equation of motion consistent with observed physics ought to have the time-reversal property.

larsa, is that a fair reading?

olivermsun said:
I think the OP may be asking a more philosophical question about why an equation of motion consistent with observed physics ought to have the time-reversal property.

larsa, is that a fair reading?

Yes, exactly this is what i am asking

"Why ?" is generally not answered by physics unless there can be pinpointed a cause and effect situation.

Likes QuantumQuest

Likes vanhees71, ShayanJ and BvU
BvU said:
"Why ?" is generally not answered by physics unless there can be pinpointed a cause and effect situation.

There is a cause and effect situation in our case, which I am looking forward to learn. Physics is fruitful, agnosticism is boring.

EddiePhys said:
[/QUO

Quotations are also boring.

Feynman is anything but never boring!

Likes QuantumQuest, EddiePhys and fresh_42
vanhees71 said:
Feynman is anything but never boring!
If I had to choose among Michio, Neil, Carl or Richard, I would always chose Richard - and if it were for pure entertainment.

Likes EddiePhys
fresh_42 said:
I would always chose Richard
Feynman supported the atomic bomb, while the others you mentioned did not. After all this, you still choose him. :cry::cry::cry:

davidge said:
Feynman supported the atomic bomb, while the others you mentioned did not. After all this, you still choose him. :cry::cry::cry:
The others were lucky not to have to. And they already knew what has been new to Feynman. It is always an easy task to judge history on values developed in the aftermath. Pythagoras was a questionable person addicted to numerology, something we would probably ban on PF. Does this stop you from using the law of cosines?

fresh_42 said:
Pythagoras was a questionable person addicted to numerology, something we would probably ban on PF. Does this stop you from using the law of cosines?
Using a mathematical law that a man found is definitely not the same thing as becoming a fan of that man. Another person (mathematician) would have discovered the law of cosines, because it's a mathematical law, not a "Pythagoras invention" to humanity.

fresh_42 said:
The others were lucky not to have to. And they already knew what has been new to Feynman.
Can't believe you think he did not know about the destruction and the effects that such a bomb would cause.

Last edited:
davidge said:
Can't believe you think he did not know about the destruction and the effects that such a bomb would cause.
On the contrary. I'm sure he knew. But in my opinion it is not fair, to judge historical events by the knowledge and values of different epochs. Participants in the Manhattan project believed it would end the war immediately, which it did, and save many thousands of potential losses. A similar argument can be applied to the use of chemical weapons in WWI. They knew what they did, but cruelty wasn't an issue at the time - and often isn't nowadays. The fact we have forbidden them must not be applied to the decision made in WWI to use them. Both have simply to be measured by different rulers.

I will end this debate here, as it doesn't belong into this thread. If you want to discuss Feynman's role in the Manhattan project, please open a separate thread.

Likes BvU

1. Why is Newton's equation of motion invariant to time reversal?

Newton's equation of motion is based on the principle of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external forces. This principle holds true regardless of the direction of time, meaning that the equation remains the same even if time is reversed.

2. How does time reversal affect the variables in Newton's equation of motion?

Time reversal does not affect the variables in Newton's equation of motion, as the equation is independent of the direction of time. The variables, such as mass, velocity, and acceleration, remain the same regardless of the direction of time.

3. Can you provide an example of how time reversal does not affect Newton's equation of motion?

One example is a simple pendulum. When time is reversed, the pendulum will swing back and forth in the exact same way as it did before, following the same equation of motion. This is due to the conservation of momentum, which remains constant even when time is reversed.

4. Are there any situations where Newton's equation of motion is not invariant to time reversal?

In classical mechanics, Newton's equation of motion is always invariant to time reversal. However, in quantum mechanics, certain phenomena such as particle decay may not obey time reversal symmetry. This is due to the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics, where the direction of time can affect the outcome of a particle's decay.

5. How does the invariance of Newton's equation of motion to time reversal relate to the concept of determinism?

The invariance of Newton's equation of motion to time reversal supports the concept of determinism in classical mechanics. This means that the future behavior of a system can be determined based on its initial conditions, regardless of the direction of time. However, in quantum mechanics, the non-invariance of certain phenomena to time reversal suggests a level of indeterminism in the behavior of particles.