Why is radius of curvature equal to 2f for a lens or mirror?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter mkbh_10
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Curvature Radius
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 18K views
mkbh_10
Messages
217
Reaction score
0
What is radius of curvature and why is it equal to 2f where f is the focal length of a lens or a mirror ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can check the definition in this : ttp://mathworld.wolfram.com/RadiusofCurvature.html

The radius of a spherical mirror is equal to 2f : that's right. But the lense : I am not sure.
You can see in the attached picture: AOF is an isosceles triangle.
 
Attachments
  • mirror.JPG
    mirror.JPG
    4.1 KB · Views: 830
but looking at th diagram I don't see where the centre of that arc is.
 
mkbh_10 said:
What is radius of curvature and why is it equal to 2f where f is the focal length of a lens or a mirror ?

For a concave mirror see

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/geoopt/mireq.html#c1

For a lens, the radius of curvature (it can be different for the front and back surfaces of a lens) is generally not equal to 2f. For the focal length of a lens see

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/geoopt/foclen.html#c2

and

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/geoopt/lenmak.html#c1
 
Imagine that the surface is part of a circle or sphere. The radius of curvature is the radius of that circle/sphere.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: gracy
whydoesitwork said:
but looking at th diagram I don't see where the centre of that arc is.

In my picture, the arc center is O because it is a part of a cicle. Remember that diagram and thurs formula only fits for a spherical concave mirror.

PS. Sorry I can not login my nick pixel01 because I forgot the pw and unfortunately the email address has been expired.