Why is speed of light 299 792 458 m / s

In summary: X1. It doesn't vary with velocity. It's always pointing to the same spot in space. It doesn't depend on the velocity of the observer.
Phil Irvine
I am not a physicist, so apologies if this is something that has been discussed before and is well understood. I, sort of, understand why it has been theorized that light (or mass) has a maximum speed that can't be exceeded. Also that experiments have shown it to be 299,792, 458 m/s in a vacuum. But I haven't seen whether there is a good theoretical reason that the maximum speed should be at that level. Why, for example, shouldn't the speed of light be 250,000,000 m/s or 350,000,000 m/s? Put another way, what is special about that speed?

Physics news on Phys.org
We have an entry about this in the Frequently Asked Relativity Questions section at the top of this forum. Try reading that, and if you have further questions, by all means ask!

I don't know that anyone can give a reason why it is "this" number rather than "that" number. One way of answering that, in a sense, answers the question you ask but not the question you intend, is that the numerical valule depends upon your system of units. In fact, in 1983, the meter was specifically defined as the distance light travels in 1/299 792 458 sec. which is why the speed of light has no decimal part (earlier definitions of "meter", such as that based on the wavelength of Krypton light, or before that, the length of a given bar of metal in Paris, gave slightly different values for the speed of light that had decimal parts.

In Cosmology, it is not unusual to use "one light second" as the unit of length. In that system, the speed of light is "1".

Phil Irvine said:
I am not a physicist, so apologies if this is something that has been discussed before and is well understood. I, sort of, understand why it has been theorized that light (or mass) has a maximum speed that can't be exceeded. Also that experiments have shown it to be 299,792, 458 m/s in a vacuum. But I haven't seen whether there is a good theoretical reason that the maximum speed should be at that level. Why, for example, shouldn't the speed of light be 250,000,000 m/s or 350,000,000 m/s? Put another way, what is special about that speed?

One of the things you'll discover if you poke around about this topic is that the "speed of light" is NOT so much the speed of LIGHT, it is the fundamental speed limit of the universe, and is a speed that is the necessary speed of all massless particles including, but not limited to, light photons.

HallsofIvy said:
I don't know that anyone can give a reason why it is "this" number rather than "that" number.
Well, the reason it's that particular number in the SI is that it's based on the properties of our planet. The meter was originally defined in terms of the circumference of the earth, and the second in terms of the mean solar day. The value of c expressed in the SI is basically a description of the inverse of the rotational speed of a point on the equator (along with some other conversion factors).

There is a good discussion of this kind of thing in Duff, 2002, "Comment on time-variation of fundamental constants," http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0208093 .

Phil Irvine said:

Phil, the above posts are all very good. There is also another complimentary way of looking at this. I've shown a sequence of graphs representing the coordinate systems for observers moving at ever higher speeds with respect to some reference rest system. The pictures include just one of our normal 3-D coordinates, X1, along with the 4th dimension, X4.

These coodinate systems are the way they are in order that nature can provide a universe in which the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless at what constant velocity they move relative to some arbitrarily chosen rest system. It is a special set of coordinates to be sure. Notice that angle between the the X4 and X1 coordinates are always bisected by a 45 degree world line in the reference system.

The X4 coordinate rotates clockwise to some angle, consistent with representing the velocity with respect to the rest system. But, the unusual aspect of these systems is that the X1 coordinate is always rotated counterclockwise by the same angle. The other fascinating detail in special relativity (by some interpretations) is that all observers are moving along their own X4 axes at the speed of of light.

But, specifically to your question is the observation that a photon of light moves at a velocity corresponding exactly to the 45 degree world line (the one that bisects the angle between X4 and X1 for all observers)--and as an observer moves faster and faster (as in the sequence of coordinates) the X4 axis and X1 axis keep rotating closer and closer to each other. In the limit they would become colinear--a result that has no physical comprehension in terms of a world that could be experienced by an observer who would then be moving at the speed of light.

The box in the lower right corner shows why the ratio of displacement along the 4th dimension to displacement along the X1 dimension, X4/X1, for a photon moving at speed c is the same for any of the special relativity coordinate systems. The fundamental observation is really that the ratio of the spatial distances is equal to 1.0 for all observers. The speed c comes out as a result of our arbitrarily chosen system of units for time and spatial distance. That, along with the aspect of all observers moving along their X4 dimensions at speed c. Thus, X4 = ct in any of the coordinate systems. Then, the speed of a photon,
X1/X4 = X1/(ct) = 1. Thus, c = X1/t for a photon (in any of the coordinate systems).

That's what makes c so special. It's that 45 degree world line in the spacetime diagrams. And it represents that limiting case of the X4 and X1 axes rotating toward each other--nature has built into the physics a way of avoiding the rotation of X4 and X1 to the point of becoming colinear.

Approach_LightSpeed_B.jpg

Last edited:
Phil Irvine said:

In classical and relativistic physics, it's a property of the vacuum.

"Maxwell's equations [..] predict that the speed c with which electromagnetic waves (such as light) propagate through the vacuum is related to the electric constant ε0 and the magnetic constant μ0 by the equation c = 1/√ε0μ0.
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_light#Propagation_of_light

Does that help?

Harald

1. Why is the speed of light in a vacuum constant at 299 792 458 m/s?

The speed of light in a vacuum is constant because it is a fundamental physical constant that is a result of the laws of nature. It is not dependent on any external factors or conditions.

2. How was the speed of light first calculated to be 299 792 458 m/s?

The speed of light was first calculated by the Danish astronomer Ole Rømer in 1676 using observations of the moons of Jupiter. He noticed that the time it took for the moons to orbit Jupiter varied depending on Earth's distance from Jupiter, which led him to determine the speed of light.

3. Why is the speed of light considered the universal speed limit?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is considered the maximum speed at which energy, matter, and information can travel. This is because as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely and it would require an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it further.

4. Is the speed of light the same in all mediums?

No, the speed of light is not constant in all mediums. It is slower in materials such as water, glass, and air due to the interactions of light with the particles in the medium. However, the speed of light in a vacuum is always constant at 299 792 458 m/s.

5. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to the theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. However, there are some theories that suggest the existence of particles called tachyons that may be able to travel faster than the speed of light. However, there is no conclusive evidence for their existence.