Why is tension present in the rope?

In summary, the problem is that we don't understand why F exists. It seems like it should be cancelled out by the force mg, but it isn't. We also don't understand why the tension in the string is there.
Churchill Tech
These is my problem
upload_2015-5-7_15-59-26.png
Assuming the surface on which A rests is frictionless and there is no drag on either of the bodies as they move at common acceleration.

Correct me if I’m wrong, I think the bodies should have a common acceleration since they’re connected

Why does F? exist??, I know that F? is exerted on the body B such that the net force on B downwards is less than mg but what is causing this force?, Looks to me like this force is a pull on the string by A but I don’t think there is any force acting to the left of body A besides friction and drag which I have assumed to be non-existent.

I would be grateful on getting well explained answer...Help me guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
Even if there is no force pulling to the left on A, the force F is still necessary to accelerate A. (A is not in equilibrium).

Chet

Churchill Tech said:
Looks to me like this force is a pull on the string by A
Yes. Both A and B exert forces on the string equal to F.

Churchill Tech said:
but I don’t think there is any force acting to the left of body A besides friction and drag which I have assumed to be non-existent.
Why would you need a force to the left of A?

Inertia.

Which, by the way, you need to consider for both objects, not just A.

Likes CWatters
Perhaps the easiest way to approach this is to think in terms of the Force being mg and that this force acts on the combined mass m+m2.

sophiecentaur said:
Perhaps the easiest way to approach this is to think in terms of the Force being mg and that this force acts on the combined mass m+m2.
But that won't explain the tension in the string.

The tension would be there because the mass m2 is being accelerated at the rate that was just calculated. F = mA again

Suppose F is the tension in the string. Have you drawn free body diagrams on the two masses? Please write down the force balance equation you obtained from these free body diagrams for each of the masses.

Chet

1. Why is tension present in the rope?

Tension is present in a rope because of the force that is being applied to both ends of the rope, pulling it taut. This force creates a pulling or stretching effect, causing the rope to experience tension.

2. What causes tension in a rope?

Tension in a rope is caused by the application of a force on both ends of the rope. This force can be created by pulling, stretching, or hanging an object from the rope. The amount of tension present in the rope depends on the magnitude of the force applied.

3. Is tension the same as weight?

No, tension and weight are not the same. Tension is a force that is present in an object, such as a rope, whereas weight is the measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Tension is a result of external forces, while weight is an inherent property of an object.

4. How does tension affect the strength of the rope?

The amount of tension present in a rope can affect its strength. If the tension exceeds the maximum strength of the rope, it can cause the rope to break. However, some ropes are designed to withstand high levels of tension, so it is important to know the maximum tension that a rope can handle.

5. Can tension be reduced in a rope?

Yes, tension can be reduced in a rope by decreasing the force applied to the ends of the rope. This can be done by either reducing the weight or the pulling force on the rope. Additionally, using a thicker or stronger rope can also help to reduce tension as it can withstand higher levels of force before reaching its maximum tension limit.