1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is tension present in the rope?

1. May 7, 2015 #1
    These is my problem

upload_2015-5-7_15-59-26.png

Assuming the surface on which A rests is frictionless and there is no drag on either of the bodies as they move at common acceleration.

Correct me if I’m wrong, I think the bodies should have a common acceleration since they’re connected

Why does F? exist??, I know that F? is exerted on the body B such that the net force on B downwards is less than mg but what is causing this force?, Looks to me like this force is a pull on the string by A but I don’t think there is any force acting to the left of body A besides friction and drag which I have assumed to be non-existent.

I would be grateful on getting well explained answer...Help me guys.

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2015 #2
    Even if there is no force pulling to the left on A, the force F is still necessary to accelerate A. (A is not in equilibrium).

Chet

4. May 7, 2015 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Yes. Both A and B exert forces on the string equal to F.

Why would you need a force to the left of A?

5. May 7, 2015 #4

russ_watters

Inertia.

Which, by the way, you need to consider for both objects, not just A.

6. May 7, 2015 #5

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Perhaps the easiest way to approach this is to think in terms of the Force being mg and that this force acts on the combined mass m+m2.

7. May 7, 2015 #6

Doc Al

But that won't explain the tension in the string.

8. May 7, 2015 #7

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The tension would be there because the mass m2 is being accelerated at the rate that was just calculated. F = mA again

9. May 8, 2015 #8
    Suppose F is the tension in the string. Have you drawn free body diagrams on the two masses? Please write down the force balance equation you obtained from these free body diagrams for each of the masses.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook