Why is Term 4 Non-Zero in the Center of Mass Frame?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
aim1732
Messages
428
Reaction score
2
For general motion of a rigid body :
[Vectors in bold]
L = Σ miri × vi
= Σ mi(r0+ri,cm)×(vo+vi,cm)
= Σmir0×vo + Σr0×(mivi,cm) + Σ(miri,cm)×vo + Σmiri,cm×vi,cm ...[1]
If the centre of coordinate system is at the centre of mass then by definition of centre of mass: Σmiri=0 and Σmivi,cm=0.
Now here's the the problem: terms 3 and 4 in [1] are zero in the centre of mass frame but the term 4 is not.But then using the same arguments I can say it is zero too. I am missing a point but can not point out what.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sure you mean term 2 and 3 are zero in [1].
Term 4 is not zero because you have to sum over both, r and v simultaneously.