1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is the electric field inside a conductor zero?

1. Jan 31, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Why is the electric field, in static equilibrium, equal to zero.

3. The attempt at a solution

The only way I can see why is to picture that there was an electric field inside a conductor. The field would cause the electrons to move freely inside the conductor. This movement of electrons would cancel out the electric field.

That's my two cents. I'm sure I could expand on this more, but I'm confused because I'm having a really hard time trying to picture this in my head.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You can also show this the same way you show that the gravitational force inside a sphere is 0. Given a point, P, inside the sphere, take a small section of surface area on the surface of the sphere and draw a line from every point in that section through P to the other side of the sphere. Note that the area will be directly proportional to the square of the distance from P and since the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance, the force from the two sections cancel.

4. Jan 31, 2012 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's the basic idea.

In a conductor charge is (relatively) free to move. If there were an electric field within a conductor, charges would move. They would move in such a way and to such locations so as to cancel that field.

As a result, any excess local charge can only reside on the surface of a conductor under conditions of equilibrium.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook