Why Is the Potential Zero on the Surface of a Conducting Sphere in an E-Field?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
sachi
Messages
63
Reaction score
1
I've solved an electrostatics problem where we have to find the surface charge density on a conducting sphere in a previously uniform E-Field, but I had to assume that V=0 on the surface of the cylinder, and I'm not sure why this is the case. I know that E=0 inside, so the potential should be constant, but I don't see why it should be zero (is this an extra assumption, or is there something else I'm missing?)
thanks for your help

Sachi
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The potential "V" is relative to something. You can call the baseline V=0 anywhere in a field. Probably it was specified as V=0 on the surface of the sphere for ease of computation.