Why is the range of this 2 variable function not inclusive of negative numbers?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
davidp92
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


In this example, the range is stated to be z=[0,3].
It shows 9-x^2-y^2<=9 which implies sqrt(9-x^2-y^2)<=3
But why don't we consider -3 as well?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, davidp92! :smile:

Actually the range of the function f given by f(x,y)=9-x2-y2 is (∞, 9].
So I have to assume that you're talking about a different function.

Presumably you intended f(x,y)=√(9-x2-y2) which indeed has a range of [0,3].
Note that the square root function is defined as a function that always results in a non-negative number.
 
I like Serena said:
Welcome to PF, davidp92! :smile:

Actually the range of the function f given by f(x,y)=9-x2-y2 is (∞, 9].
I think you mean (-∞, 9].

I like Serena said:
So I have to assume that you're talking about a different function.

Presumably you intended f(x,y)=√(9-x2-y2) which indeed has a range of [0,3].
Note that the square root function is defined as a function that always results in a non-negative number.