Why is the Square Root of a Real Number Positive?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
brt
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi,

Apologies for the trivialness of the question, but I'm not so great at this. I was wondering why the square root of a real number is positive. Why is sqrt(9) = 3, and not -3 as well, since (-3)² would give 9. Is it just a condition you set, that the function values must be positive? At least I thought it was, googling for it produces sites that tell the opposite, such as this one: http://thesaurus.maths.org/mmkb/entry.html?action=entryByConcept&id=1015 . Are they wrong?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The principal square root function of x is defined to give the positive value that when squared gives x. It is only a convention.
 
Last edited:
every number has two square roots, however to differentiate between them, [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] is defined to be positive. The notation for both roots is [tex]\pm \sqrt{X}[/tex]