Understanding r^2 and the Role of Square Root in Data Analysis

In summary, the conversation touches on the topics of correlation coefficient r, its significance and the use of square root in solving equations with variables raised to the second or third power. Additionally, it is mentioned that r2 represents the fraction of variance in y values and its relationship to the regression line.
Hammad Shahid
Hi guys. I was wondering something. In my math class, we were analyzing how strong the data was, and there was an r and r^2 value. I know the significance of r, but what's the point of knowing the square of the r value?

Also, what's the use of square root? Like where does it help? I saw it one time in an equation in my chemistry class (I think Graham's law of effusion/diffusion), and of course, the Pythagorean theorem.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hammad Shahid said:
Hi guys. I was wondering something. In my math class, we were analyzing how strong the data was, and there was an r and r^2 value. I know the significance of r, but what's the point of knowing the square of the r value?
I assume you're talking about the correlation coefficient r. I don't know of any significance of r2.
Hammad Shahid said:
Also, what's the use of square root? Like where does it help? I saw it one time in an equation in my chemistry class (I think Graham's law of effusion/diffusion), and of course, the Pythagorean theorem.
The property my house is on is about 100,000 sq. ft. If it were in the shape of a square (which it isn't), what would be the dimensions of this square? (Ans: about 316 ft x 316 ft)

In the equation ##E = (1/2)mv^2##, if you know the energy E and the mass m, how would find the velocity v?

The square root let's us solve equations where a variable appears to the second power. Likewise, the cube root let's us solve equations where a variable occurs to the third power.

The square root and cube root are inverse operations to squaring and cubing. When you learn about elementary functions in an algebra or precalculus class, you typically learn about these functions and their inverses.

r2 is the fraction of the variance in the y values attributable to the correlation. In other words, if all the points fell on the regression line, the variance in y would be r2 * the observed variance. 1-r2 is the fraction of the variance attributed to random deviation of the points from the regression line.

Related to Understanding r^2 and the Role of Square Root in Data Analysis

1. What is r^2?

r^2, also known as the coefficient of determination, is a statistical measure that represents the proportion of the variation in one variable that is explained by another variable. It is commonly used to assess the strength of the relationship between two variables.

2. How is r^2 calculated?

r^2 is calculated by squaring the correlation coefficient (r) between two variables. This value ranges from 0 to 1, with higher values indicating a stronger relationship between the variables.

3. What does a high r^2 value indicate?

A high r^2 value indicates that a large portion of the variation in one variable can be explained by the other variable. This suggests a strong relationship between the variables and can be useful in predicting one variable based on the other.

4. Is r^2 the same as correlation?

No, r^2 and correlation are not the same. Correlation measures the strength and direction of the relationship between two variables, while r^2 measures the proportion of variation in one variable that can be explained by another variable.

5. What is the use of taking the square root of r^2?

Taking the square root of r^2 is commonly used to calculate the correlation coefficient (r) from the r^2 value. It is also used in certain statistical tests to determine the significance of the relationship between two variables.