Why is this legal? (limits of integration)

In summary: It doesn't make sense to not have different limits of integration for different variables.In summary, the conversation discusses the process of integrating both sides of an equation and the fundamental rule that whatever is done to one side must also be done to the other. The speaker is confused about why it is legal to integrate one side by one variable and the other side by another variable, as well as why different limits of integration can be used for each side. The other person also expresses their confusion and asks for clarification on the relationship between the variables and the choice of limits of integration.
iScience
i have one expression, and then i will expand that expression into another expression like so...

y=f(x) ------> f(x)= x+5u , u= another variable

now i will integrate both sides.. like so...

∫f(x)dx=∫(x+5u)du

now, one fundamental rule in algebra is that, whatever is done to one side, must be done to the other side as well. so i understand that if i integrate something by one side, i must integrate the other side as well, ie i understand why doing something to both sides will make them remain equal to each other. But what i don't get, is why is it legal to integrate one side by one variable and integrate the other side by another variable. I don't understand what makes them remain equal to each other when one does this.

furthermore, even if we were to integrate both sides by the same variable, i don't understand why it is legal to have different limits of integration on both sides. that is.. i don't understand what makes the two expressions remain equal to each other when i integrate one side with one pair of limits, and i integrate the other side with a different pair of limits.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are not alone. I don't understand what you have written, either.

In your example, you have two variables, x and u. What is the relationship between x and u? Is u another function of x? Is x another function of u? Why didn't you write your integral of (x + 5u) with respect to x?

With definite integrals, the choice of limits of integration always depends on the variable being integrated. If there are different variables on the LHS and RHS, then there will be different limits of integration.

1. Why is there a limit on integration?

The limit on integration is necessary to ensure that the integral is well-defined and converges to a finite value. Without a limit, the integral may diverge and not have a meaningful solution.

2. How is the limit of integration determined?

The limit of integration is typically determined by the boundaries of the problem or the range of values over which the function is defined. It can also be set to infinity in some cases.

3. Can the limit of integration be negative?

Yes, the limit of integration can be negative. It simply represents the lower boundary of the integral and can be any real number, positive or negative.

4. What happens if the limit of integration is not specified?

If the limit of integration is not specified, it is assumed to be from negative infinity to positive infinity. However, this may not always be a meaningful solution and the limit should be specified for a proper evaluation of the integral.

5. Does the limit of integration affect the value of the integral?

Yes, the limit of integration affects the value of the integral as it determines the range of values over which the function is integrated. Changing the limit can result in a different value for the integral, or it may not converge at all if the limit is not appropriate for the given function.