1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Job Skills Why is University never considered in the hiring process

1. Aug 20, 2016 #1
    Why do people base a new employees skill set based solely on degree and not the program they attended. For example, engineering is considered to be a marketable field. However, not all engineering programs are created equal. I understand that elite institutions will be preferred over the average state institution.

There are some institutions are less renowned and quite simply academically inferior to even state institutions. However, a person going to an less-renowned school and getting an engineering degree will generally have an easier time finding employment that someone who went to a more prestigious university who may have a more academic degree.

Is there a reason companies are so biased against degree types and not towards the institutions themselves

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2016 #2

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You are making quite a few statements, such as but it is unclear to me to what extent they are true. Is this your personal experience or is it the result of a rigorous investigation?

4. Aug 20, 2016 #3
    I am referring to the fact that by going to a more rigorous university, it is supposed to prepare you for the working world better. However, there are universities where the course work is much easier and the students still have good opportunities to get a job just as if they went to the more rigorous university.

This is mainly based on my own investigation. I went to a rigorous public university for my undergrad , yet I am having better opportunities with my second degree which was from a less-renowned university.

5. Aug 20, 2016 #4

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Ok. Could it be because employers can get away with paying smaller salaries to their employees with degrees from lesser known universities? Or is this not a factor?

6. Aug 20, 2016 #5
    Is this legal in the United States? I guess that would make alot of sense. I always assumed employers had to pay equally for the same positions.

7. Aug 20, 2016 #6

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This I cannot answer for the US, I am sorry. Someone else, perhaps? However, I would imagine that it can play a role during salary negotiations. I know that in the Netherlands (where the legal position of employees is likely a lot stronger than in the US), in practice the same positions are not always equally payed for, even when the employees have very similar profiles.

8. Aug 20, 2016 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

A BSEE from Ohio State is going to be more marketable than a BA in Art History from Harvard.

9. Aug 20, 2016 #8

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

Yes, it's legal. They can pay you what they want. There aren't any laws preventing them from discriminating against your educational background. Even if they don't like your personality, they can choose not to hire you or can pay you less. There aren't any laws that force employers to offer the same pay rates, where did you get that idea from? Have you ever had a job? A person working 10 years for a company is going to have a much higher salary than a new employee with the same position...

10. Aug 20, 2016 #9
    I am referring to getting the same degree from a different university. I am also referring to the fact that not all in-state universities teach equally.

11. Aug 20, 2016 #10

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

But you have two degrees then, not one! That's also a big difference.

12. Aug 20, 2016 #11

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

Are you confused? That isn't what you stated at first. You wrote that a person from a prestigious university will have a harder time than another person from less known university getting hired by the same company. Now, you change it to the same degree. That doesn't make sense. A person from a more prestigious university, with the same degree, will have an advantage. I don't see your line of reasoning.

13. Aug 20, 2016 #12

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The title of this thread is "Why is University never considered in the hiring process" (emphasis mine)., That's apparently not what you mean. Why don't you write down what you really mean and we can discuss that.

14. Aug 20, 2016 #13
    Okay. I cant edit the question so I will start a new thread. I apologize, I thought my thoughts were coherent enough when I started.

This thread can be deleted

15. Aug 20, 2016 #14
  16. Aug 20, 2016 #15

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The employers can hire whomever they want and negotiate pay based on what they believe a candidate to be worth.

17. Aug 20, 2016 #16

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Students are not all equal. Graduates of a particular field are not all equal.

18. Aug 20, 2016 #17

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Closed. If you are interested, please see the new thread mentioned in 14.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook