Why it does not work with a negative (trig problem)

In summary, the conversation is about finding the general solution to cot4θ = tan5θ, with two different solutions being discussed and compared. The conversation also touches on the concept of complementary angles and how different values of n can result in the same solution. Ultimately, it is concluded that both solutions are the same, with one being written in the book as the correct solution.
BOAS
Hello,

i'm looking for an explanation of a rule I used to solve a problem. I came to the correct answer in the end, but I do not understand why my first attempt went wrong.

Homework Statement

Find the general solution to cot4θ = tan5θ

Homework Equations

tanA = tanB => A = nπ + B

tanα = a/b = cotβ

Where α and β are complementary angles.

The Attempt at a Solution

cot4θ = tan5θ

tan(π/2 - 4θ) = tan5θ

π/2 - 4θ = nπ + 5θ

9θ = π/2 - nπ

θ = π/18 (2n - 1)

The above is not given as a solution in my book and the following is said to be correct.

5θ = nπ + π/2 - 4θ

9θ = nπ + π/2

θ = π/18 (2n + 1)

Why is this?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi BOAS!

Don't you think both the answers are same? (Check for different values of n) :)

Pranav-Arora said:
Hi BOAS!

Don't you think both the answers are same? (Check for different values of n) :)

I think for different values of n it is possible to get the same answer from both equations, but is that the same as 'being the same'?

IE - Is the first one not written in my book because it is the same as the second one?

BOAS said:
I think for different values of n it is possible to get the same answer from both equations, but is that the same as 'being the same'?

IE - Is the first one not written in my book because it is the same as the second one?
Both answers are the same.

θ = (π/18) multiplied by any odd integer .

Write your solution as
θ = (π/18)(2m-1)

The book solution is
θ = (π/18)(2n+1)

To get the same solution for both n = m-1 .

1. Why can't I use negative values in trigonometry?

Trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent were originally developed to describe the relationships between sides and angles in right triangles. In a right triangle, the sides and angles are always positive. Therefore, negative values do not make sense in this context and cannot be used in trigonometric calculations.

2. Can't I just use the absolute value of the negative value in trigonometry?

No, the absolute value of a negative value will not give you the correct answer in trigonometry. This is because trigonometric functions are periodic, meaning they repeat themselves at regular intervals. The absolute value would only give you a solution for one specific interval, but not for the entire function.

3. Why does my calculator give me an error when I enter a negative value in trigonometry?

Calculators are programmed to follow mathematical rules and conventions. In trigonometry, it is not mathematically correct to use negative values. Therefore, your calculator will give you an error message to indicate that the input is not valid.

4. What if I encounter a problem where negative values seem to be the only solution?

In some real-world applications, negative values may seem to be the correct solution in trigonometry. However, in these cases, it is important to consider the context and whether negative values make sense in that particular situation. If the context does not allow for negative values, you may need to revisit your problem-solving approach.

5. Are there any exceptions where negative values can be used in trigonometry?

No, there are no exceptions where negative values can be used in trigonometry. The concept of negative values does not fit into the mathematical framework of trigonometry, and any calculations involving negative values will not be mathematically valid.