Trigonometric equation sin(x) = C*sin(y)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where the goal is to find the value of y as a function of x, given the equation sin x = C*sin y and a given value of C>0. The conversation also mentions two equations involving the angles Φ, α, and β and the ratio of masses, C. The second equation gives two possible values for Φ, but one is ruled out because it leads to a contradiction with C>0. The conversation concludes by asking for a hint or starting point in solving the first equation. The suggested direction is to look at inverse trigonometric functions.
anachin6000

Homework Statement

sin x = C*sin y
Find y as a function of x for a given C>0.

Homework Equations

sin x = C*sin y

The Attempt at a Solution

This is not actually a problem from a book, but a problem I myself thought about. I was studying elastic collisions in SCM and I obtained 2 equations:

sin (Φ+α) = C*sin α
sin (Φ-β)= sin β

where C is the ratio of masses (C>0) and Φ, α, β∈[0,π].
The second equation gives Φ∈{ 2β, π}.
The solution Φ = π is false because when you substitute it in the first equation you get C=-1, contradiction with C>0.
Now I want to solve the first equation to get Φ=f(α)=2β, but I have no idea how to solve that. If the equations are correct, then α+β=π/2 (known physics fact that can be proved in other ways; a very important result for billiard players).
The equations may not be physically correct, but the mathematical equation sin x = C*sin y seems solvable and I have no idea how to solve it.
I don't really want the solution, but a hint in solving it, or at least a starting point.

Physics news on Phys.org
anachin6000 said:

Homework Statement

sin x = C*sin y
Find y as a function of x for a given C>0.

Homework Equations

sin x = C*sin y

The Attempt at a Solution

This is not actually a problem from a book, but a problem I myself thought about. I was studying elastic collisions in SCM and I obtained 2 equations:

sin (Φ+α) = C*sin α
sin (Φ-β)= sin β

where C is the ratio of masses (C>0) and Φ, α, β∈[0,π].
The second equation gives Φ∈{ 2β, π}.
The solution Φ = π is false because when you substitute it in the first equation you get C=-1, contradiction with C>0.
Now I want to solve the first equation to get Φ=f(α)=2β, but I have no idea how to solve that. If the equations are correct, then α+β=π/2 (known physics fact that can be proved in other ways; a very important result for billiard players).
The equations may not be physically correct, but the mathematical equation sin x = C*sin y seems solvable and I have no idea how to solve it.
I don't really want the solution, but a hint in solving it, or at least a starting point.
Take a look at the inverse trigonometric functions.

Likes anachin6000

1. What is the general form of a trigonometric equation sin(x) = C*sin(y)?

The general form of a trigonometric equation sin(x) = C*sin(y) is sin(x) = C*sin(y + k*2π), where k is any integer. This means that the solutions for x and y will repeat every 2π units on the x-axis.

2. How do you solve a trigonometric equation sin(x) = C*sin(y)?

To solve a trigonometric equation sin(x) = C*sin(y), you can use the inverse sine function (arcsin) to eliminate the sine function on both sides. This will give you the equation x = y + k*2π, where k is any integer. You can then substitute different values for k to find all the solutions for x and y.

3. Can the equation sin(x) = C*sin(y) have multiple solutions?

Yes, the equation sin(x) = C*sin(y) can have multiple solutions. Since the sine function has a period of 2π, there can be an infinite number of solutions for x and y that satisfy the equation. These solutions will repeat every 2π units on the x-axis.

4. What is the range of solutions for x and y in the equation sin(x) = C*sin(y)?

The range of solutions for x and y in the equation sin(x) = C*sin(y) is infinite. However, if we limit the range to a specific interval, such as [0,2π), then the solutions for x and y will also be within that interval. This is because the sine function is periodic and repeats every 2π units.

5. Can the value of C in the equation sin(x) = C*sin(y) affect the solutions?

Yes, the value of C in the equation sin(x) = C*sin(y) can affect the solutions. The value of C will determine the amplitude of the sine wave on the y-axis, which can change the number and position of solutions for x and y. For example, if C = 0, then the equation becomes sin(x) = 0, which only has solutions when x = 0 or π.