Solutions of trigonometric equations

In summary, the general solution to the equation (√3 - 1)sin∅+(√3 + 1)c0s∅=2 is given by ∅=2nπ+- (π/4)+(π/12), where n is any integer. This is because the sine and cosine functions have a period of 2π, so adding multiples of 2π to the solution still gives the same value. The same concept applies for tangent and cotangent, but with a period of π instead.
lionel messi.
1. The problem statement:
QUESTION:the general solution of equation (√3 - 1)sin∅+(√3 + 1)c0s∅=2 is
1) ∅=2nπ+- (π/4)+(π/12)
2) ∅= nπ + (-1)^π (π/4)+(π/12)
3) ∅=2(n+1)π (π/4)+(π/12)

The Attempt at a Solution

ACTUALLY I DONT NEED THE ATTEMPT, i know the answer is option 1 , i don't know why the last 2 options can be the solutions of the question as well.my teacher told me that to use 2nπ with sin and cos functions and nπ with tan functions.can someone please describe in detail about the periods used in solutions of trig.equations.THANKS

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have a solution ##\theta_0## to an equation like ##\sin\theta = c##, then since the sine function has period ##2\pi##, for any integer multiple like ##2n\pi## you will have ##\sin(\theta_0+2n\pi)=c## also. That's why you add the ##2n\pi## to the ##\theta_0## to get all the solutions. The same idea for tangent or cotangent applies, except since they have periods of ##\pi##, you add multiples ##n\pi## to your solution.

1. What are the basic steps for solving trigonometric equations?

The basic steps for solving trigonometric equations are:
1. Isolate the trigonometric function on one side of the equation.
2. Use inverse trigonometric functions to solve for the variable.
3. Check for extraneous solutions by plugging in the values to the original equation.
4. Write the final solution in the correct form, such as in degrees or radians.

2. How do I know which inverse trigonometric function to use?

The inverse trigonometric function to use depends on the trigonometric function present in the equation. For example, if the equation has sine, you should use the inverse sine function (arcsin or sin^-1), and if the equation has tangent, you should use the inverse tangent function (arctan or tan^-1).

3. Can I use a calculator to solve trigonometric equations?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve trigonometric equations. Most scientific calculators have the inverse trigonometric functions built-in, making it easier to solve these equations.

4. What should I do if there are multiple solutions to a trigonometric equation?

If there are multiple solutions, you should write them all down and check each solution in the original equation to make sure they are valid. Some equations may have infinite solutions, so it is important to state the general solution in these cases.

5. How can I use trigonometric identities to solve equations?

Trigonometric identities can be used to simplify and manipulate equations before solving them. This can make the equations easier to work with and may lead to a more straightforward solution process. However, it is important to be careful when using identities and to ensure that any changes made to the equation do not affect the validity of the solution.