Why just NaCl instead of 2NaCl?

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter simphys
  • Start date
In summary, the answer given does not have the same number of Na and Cl atoms on both sides of the reaction, so it must be wrong.
simphys
Homework Statement
An aqueous solution of Na2CO3 is added to dilute hydrochloric acid. The
resulting carbonic acid, H2CO3, breaks down to form CO2 gas and H2O. Complete and balance the molecular equation for this reaction
Relevant Equations
/
Hello,

Can I get some clarification on why it is NaCl and not 2NaCl as a product please?
Thanks in advance!

1663847665138.png

I had ##Na_2CO_3 + 2HCl## --> ##2NaCl + CO_2 + H_2O## instead. Why is this not correct?
I have this as shouldn't the number of chlorine and sodium atoms be the same in reactant and product side?

Physics news on Phys.org
simphys said:
Homework Statement:: An aqueous solution of Na2CO3 is added to dilute hydrochloric acid. The
resulting carbonic acid, H2CO3, breaks down to form CO2 gas and H2O. Complete and balance the molecular equation for this reaction
Relevant Equations:: /

Hello,

Can I get some clarification on why it is NaCl and not 2NaCl as a product please?
Thanks in advance!

View attachment 314453

I had ##Na_2CO_3 + 2HCl## --> ##2NaCl + CO_2 + H_2O## instead. Why is this not correct?
I have this as shouldn't the number of chlorine and sodium atoms be the same in reactant and product side?
That is what I get also. Perhaps we are missing something obvious, @Borek will spot it?

Likes simphys
The 2 is missing, simple typo.

Likes pinball1970 and simphys
The answer given does not have the same number of Na and Cl atoms on both sides of the reaction, so it must be wrong.

Likes jim mcnamara and simphys
DrClaude said:
The answer given does not have the same number of Na and Cl atoms on both sides of the reaction, so it must be wrong.
What I assumed as well, thank you.

Likes pinball1970
DrClaude said:
hey @DrClaude (or anybode else :) )I didn't want to open another thread for this small question but I wanted to ask the following:
1663858641476.png

it's about question (a): I was wondering what the reason 'd be not to write ##Na_2Cl_2## instead of 2NaCl?
my possible explanation, because the ionic compounds dissociate in water(aq solution) where we get 2 Na+ions and 2 Cl- ions(and 1Ba(2+) and (SO4)2-) from one molecule of the compounds seperately which then 'supposedly' form NaCl.

Last edited:
simphys said:
(a): I was wondering what the reason 'd be not to write Na2Cl2 instead of 2NaCl?
my possible explanation, because the ionic compounds dissociate in water(aq solution) where we get 2
Sodium Chloride is not any single molecule. The compound is sodium cations and chloride anions, ratio one-to-one. ONE such unit we symbolize NaCl. Two such units we can show as 2NaCl. If you try to say, Na2Cl2 this suggests you are saying The unit is like a molecule having two of each ion, which it is not.

Likes Merlin3189
The key word in the question is BALANCE - your task is to work out how many of each compound there should be in the final balanced equation. It's NOT a typo in the question, it is an unbalanced equation for you to make balanced.

So your answer is correct.

The advice I always gave when lecturing was
Read the question
Read the question again
Answer the question that was asked
I've marked lots of exam papers where the student has not answered what I asked, but what they thought I had asked. Hence the read it again. I used to give students a list of things to do in an exam to get more marks without knowing anything extra, ie clues to what we looked for when marking any question.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
DrJohn said:
It's NOT a typo in the question, it is an unbalanced equation for you to make balanced.

Because of 2HCl on the left it doesn't look like a skeletal equation waiting to be balanced.

DrJohn said:
The key word in the question is BALANCE - your task is to work out how many of each compound there should be in the final balanced equation. It's NOT a typo in the question, it is an unbalanced equation for you to make balanced.
Nobody has said it was a typo in the question, it's clearly a typo in the ANSWER.

1. Why is NaCl written as 2NaCl in some equations?

NaCl is written as 2NaCl in some equations because it represents two moles of NaCl. In chemistry, the coefficient in front of a compound indicates the number of moles of that compound present in the reaction. Therefore, 2NaCl means that there are two moles of NaCl present.

2. Is there a difference between NaCl and 2NaCl?

Yes, there is a difference between NaCl and 2NaCl. NaCl refers to one mole of the compound, while 2NaCl refers to two moles of the compound. This means that there is twice the amount of NaCl in 2NaCl compared to NaCl.

3. Can I use NaCl instead of 2NaCl in a chemical reaction?

Yes, you can use NaCl instead of 2NaCl in a chemical reaction. However, the amount of NaCl needed will be different depending on the reaction. If the reaction calls for 2NaCl, you will need to use twice the amount of NaCl to get the same result.

4. Why is it important to specify the amount of NaCl in a reaction?

It is important to specify the amount of NaCl in a reaction because it affects the outcome of the reaction. Different reactions require different amounts of NaCl, and using the incorrect amount can result in an incomplete or unsuccessful reaction.

5. What is the significance of 2NaCl in the chemical formula?

The significance of 2NaCl in the chemical formula is that it indicates the molar ratio of NaCl in the reaction. This helps chemists accurately measure and predict the amount of NaCl needed for a reaction, as well as determine the amount of other substances that will be produced or consumed in the reaction.