Calculate the "surface energy" of succesively smaller cubes

In summary, you are asked to calculate the total surface energy of 1 g of NaCl that is progressively broken into smaller cubes. The surface energy of the single cube at the start is given as 2x10-5 J/cm2. The formula for surface energy is γ = (1/2)Nbερa, where Nb is the number of bonds broken, ρa is the number of atoms per unit area of the new surface, and ε is the bond strength. The question wants you to find the total surface energy, not specific surface energy per cm2. You can use the given density and mass in a conversion pathway to arrive at the solution in joules.
Jacob Daniel

Homework Statement

NaCl has a density of 2.16 g/cm3 and a surface energy of 2x10-5 J/cm2. Calculate the surface energy of 1 g of NaCl. Initially the complete 1 g is in the form of a single cube (of mass 1 g) and progressively broken into smaller cubes with sides of 0.1 cm, 0.01 cm, 10 μm, 1 μm, 100 nm and finally 1 nm.

Make a plot of surface energy vs size of the cube.

Homework Equations

The surface energy of a new surface can be calculated based on the equation discussed in class:

γ = (1/2)Nbερa

Where Nb is the number of bonds broken to create the surface, ρa is the number of atoms per unit area of the new surface and ε is the bond strength.

The Attempt at a Solution

This question makes absolutely zero sense to me. 1st of all, it asks me to calculate the surface energy of 1 g of NaCl that gets broken into smaller and smaller cubes, but it gives a surface energy at the start. So am I supposed to assume that 2e-5 J/cm2 is the surface energy of the single cube before it gets broken up?

Also, note how it wants me to make a plot but the scale of the x-axis is way out of wack. I'm going to have to plot a point at 1 nm and plot another at 0.1 cm which is equivalent to 1,000,000 nm!

I had to edit out grammar mistakes from this question. Another thing that pissed me off was that the prof wrote the shorthand for gram as gm instead of g. I know this is irrelevant but I had to vent a little bit.

I don't see how the formula for surface energy comes in handy because it assumes we are cutting into a unit cell on the molecular level, however the question clearly indicates that we are dealing with relatively big cubes of salt.

I don't even really know where to start. I'm not expecting anyone to make the plot for me. I just want to know how to calculate the surface energy with the variables I have been given. Thank you all very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are asked to find a total surface energy, not specific (per cm2).

Borek said:
You are asked to find a total surface energy, not specific (per cm2).

Oh ok. So the mass will always be 1 g but at 1st it will be one big cube, then an increasing number of smaller cubes. And the question is asking me to find the total surface energy.

My only question now is what is the formula for total surface energy. If I know which formula to use, then the rest is easy. I looked through my notes but I can't find a formula to use. Am I supposed to use the density and/or the mass in some kind of conversion pathway to arrive at the solution? Which will be in units of joules, not joules per cm2?

Thanks to your help, I was able to solve the problem. Thank you.

Likes Borek

What is the definition of "surface energy"?

Surface energy is the amount of energy required to create or maintain the surface of an object. In other words, it is the energy needed to break the bonds between molecules on the surface of a material.

How is the surface energy of a cube calculated?

The surface energy of a cube is calculated by multiplying the surface area of the cube by the surface tension of the material. This can be represented by the equation: Surface Energy = Surface Area x Surface Tension.

Why is it important to calculate the surface energy of smaller cubes?

Calculating the surface energy of smaller cubes can provide valuable information about the properties of materials at a microscopic level. It can also help in understanding the behavior of materials in different environments and under different conditions.

What factors can affect the surface energy of a cube?

The surface energy of a cube can be affected by the type of material, the size and shape of the cube, the temperature, and the presence of other substances on the surface.

How can the surface energy of a cube be measured experimentally?

The surface energy of a cube can be measured using techniques such as contact angle measurements, surface tension measurements, or surface energy mapping using atomic force microscopy. These methods involve measuring the forces acting on the surface of the cube and using them to calculate the surface energy.