Reaction pathway of (di)chloramine and sodium carbonate

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rotor
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Reaction Sodium
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Rotor
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hello, just wondering what would be produced when chloramine and dichloramine is introduced to sodium carbonate. In a reaction including dichloramine I can't decide whether the reaction would proceed as the following:

NHCl2 + Na2CO3 ---> 2NaCl + CO2 + NO + H

Or

NHCl2 + NaCO3 ---> NaCl + CO2 + NaOCl + N

When using chloramine:

NH2Cl + Na2CO3 ---> NaCl + NaOH + CO2 + H + N


There were other pathways I could think of, but did not see them as viable.

When a lone nitrogen or hydrogen is produced I assume they form diatomic molecules, not reacting with anything else.

I may be completely wrong on all of this, feel free to correct.
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Check out this link. While it doesn't say anything about reaction with a carbonate, my bet is that the carbonate will be mostly responsible for modifying pH, otherwise it will be just a hydrolysis.